Insomnia and flouroquinolone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some drugs like flouroquinolone antibiotics can also causes chronic insomnia as a side effect

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is very true, I know of some people who are suffering from chronic insomnia years after they took a fluoroquinolone (Cipro etc).  This is one manifestation of how they affect the Central Nervous System along with the muscles and tendons that they're more commonly associated with. 

Other CNS symptoms include depression, anxiety, brain-fog and panic attacks - some say they can't stop crying for days on end. 

These and all the other symptoms are listed in the packet leaflets and the advice is to stop taking the fluoroquinolone and speak to your doctor.  Sadly, not many doctors seem to realise just how serious any of these signs can be and often say to carry on with the tablets. Or they may switch you to another fluoroquinolone, telling you it will be better.  For your doctor's information - they all work in the same way!

I know you know this, Derek, but so many people have no idea of just how this class of antibiotic can destroy lives, either by causing disability which may be permanent or distress - which can also be permanent.  In the US the FDA have already acknowledged that fluorquinolone toxicity is a diagnosable syndrome and we hope that the EMA (European Medicines Agency - who our MHRA report to) will soon make the same decision.

• Posted

lyrica

​Have u heard about lyrica and Neurontin? I know this is a discussion on fluoroquinolone toxicity but drs may prescribe lyrica or Neurontin for the nerve pain and other side effects with disastrous consequences.

• Posted

Yes, thanks and yes, I've seen your message as well.  Very interested as my husband has been on first Gabapentin for years and then Lyrica for more years!  I keep trying to wean him off then he keeps asking for it back. 

• Posted

It causes addiction amongst a lot of nasty things including..... wait for it. NEUROPATHY.

?Drugs weren';t even researched see pm with the name of the US dr jailed for fabrication and forgery of research he never carried out. Billions and billions of dollars have been made out of Lyrica, Neurontin. They also interfere with the synapses in the brain.

• Posted

I was weaned off Lyrica by my neurologist as it caused cortical myoclonus and he reported this to the MHRA. I was weaned off it under medical supervision please note it was prescribed for focal epilepsy in tandem with another anti epileptic drug.It has to be done slowly. I was given 25 mgms capsules for the weaning off process. This was a few years ago before it became a drug of abuse. 

n

• Posted

I have an untouched  packet of it and two similar ones in a drawer that were prescribed by neurologists.
    • Posted

Mine were prescribed by consultant neurologists but when a new neuro took over a professor he immediately diagnosed the movement disorder, cortical myoclonus.Then discontinued the drug reporting it to the MHRA .

What strength of this drug have u got? Hope you do not mind my asking. I assume  you are tapering off but should the advice of your neurologist or GP if you decide to stop taking it. .,

​My tapering off was done with 25 mgm capsules but it was not then known to be a drug of addiction . Perhaps that knowledge made it easier psychologically speaking to wean off it.f

• Posted

I do not think anyone except your pharmacist can take them off you. Nothing on the earth would prompt me to go anywhere near this dangerous drug.
    • Posted

As I said untouched. I don't have pain or pins and needles mainly a lack of feeling from above my ankle into my foot that mainly happens when I have shoes on and walking outside. Last neurologist I went to did a fifteen second diagnosis of CMT.. 

• Posted

Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) is a group of inherited conditions that damage the peripheral nerves.

It's also known as hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy (HMSN).

• Posted

Thanks  Derek So how did he diagnose this condition?  Presumably that was why the Lyrica was prescribed.

The insomnia can clear up you know. Try not to lose heart .

• Posted

He didn't diagnose it. He watched me walk the 15 steps into his office and said CMT.

I told him of the all the blood tests. genetic testing and the electric conduction tests I had the year before. He said they either did the wrong tests or did not read them properly!

He then told me of an expensive walking frame that he had designed for Parkinson's patients that was way OTT for my needs.

I said this to one of his colleagues  and he said 'That's him all over'

• Posted

Well!! Can you get a second even third opinion on the diagnosis?

​There is lots of info re Lyrica on several fora, FB.!!!!

Have you read the side effects and the Data Product sheet? You can obtain the Data Product sheet from the manufacturers under Health and Safety Legislation. xx

• Posted

I have had three neurology opinions and probably five on my lower back.

"Have you read the side effects and the Data Product sheet"

That's why I have never taken any of them. 

• Posted

Wish I had read the data product sheet or even been advised about the nasty side effects and I would never have taken any either .

• Posted

I always read them and also go to drugsdotcom who give even more detail.

• Posted

I was prescribed another antibiotic last March (can't trace the name at the moment) and did not sleep a wink for the next two nights and felt totally weakened and could hardly walk. Contacted doctor who gave me a different one that I had taken before.

When I told a friend in America he replied:

The last antibiotic or medicine of any kind that I took was the Levaquin that I had to take as a result of the odd pneumonia that ran through the VA ward back in '98 that killed 5 people, severely weakened my father and beat the life out of me. I took it and felt 10x worse. 

• Posted

Yes it is a very honest reference site. I always go there and also the university of arizona website this is recognised as the leading expert in the field of drugs and drs use it instead of the british national formulary. 
    • Posted

Can you still get access to  BNF?

I was registered to the site free as a non medical user for years. I told them I used it for research in my work:-)

Recently they have made contact to the site through another provider and ones like me would now have to be a paid subscriber. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.