Insomnia as an after effect of Cipro.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was never a good sleeper but since being affected by this family of drugs I waken several times in the night and have difficulty in getting back to sleep. Various medication do not prevent me suddenly waking after an initial two hours.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Derek,

Yes, I go through a similar experience, not quite as severe as yours. Added to this I suffer from walking difficulties (the "lead feet" syndrome) and legible handwriting has all but become impossible.

One good thing has come to light, the orthopedic fraternity are beginning to notice an increase of patients presenting with ruptured tendon complaints. I hope they are checking these findings against Cipro intake!

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

I used to walk for up to eight miles a day. Suddenly over a three day period in May 2015 I developed what was said by doctors to be 'Idiopathic neuropathy " and tendon weakness problem in my lower left leg and was unable to walk unaided. Tests ruled out CMT but another neurologists tried to say the tests were wrong in an instant 15 second diagnosis.

The walking problem has affected my lower spine and I now use a rollator or a wheelchair. Slept for about three hours last night and about 45 minutes later.

Went out for about 45 minutes before the rain and felt totally knackered.

I used to travel the world now only as far as hospital appointments.

• Posted

Insomnia is a well known side effect of Cipro - as you probably know by now.

Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones can easily cross the blood-brain barrier, something which many doctors don't realise. They affect the nervous system in several other ways too, they can cause anxiety and panic attacks, hallucinations, depression, (some say they can't stop crying for days on end), and even suicidal thoughts.

These are certainly not any "ordinary antibiotics". We are trying to raise awareness about them.

• Posted

At least I don't have anxiety and panic attacks, hallucinations, depression. The annoying thing is that most nights I get to sleep reasonably easily but wake up after two or even just one hours sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.