Insomnia can it be a symptom of Anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been having Amxiety half of my life. I’ve been getting better but recently I can’t sleep. I feel like any little things annoys me or wakes me up.  It takes me a long time to be able to fall asleep.  Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes Laura, this is very common with anxiety. Our brains are always thinking and sometimes it’s difficult to fall asleep. Anxiety can also make us hyper aware of things so we are likely to wake up easily.

Something that really helps me fall asleep is listening to meditation‘s for anxiety on YouTube. Many times I don’t make it through the whole meditation because  I fall asleep which is a good thing! They teach you how to relax your mind. There are meditations for anxiety, sleep, depression, etc. I use earbuds for a better effect .  Plus it blocks out other types of noise.   Check them out! 

also, ever since I have been exercising, I fall asleep much easier. Do things during the day that relax your mind. I also try to avoid caffeine. I hope you feel better. ??🌸😁

• Posted

Yes insomnia is definitely one of the symptoms of anxiety. When I have anxiety I can't fall asleep. Something that helps me is to meditate and exercise doing the day. Sometimes when that fails, I take a xanax, if needed.  Hope this helps some Laura.

• Posted

Laura

Everyone has this problem at sometime in life. If you go to bed and get up at no particular time the body has problems with its circadian rhythm  and sleep can be a problem.

If you are living the day when trying to sleep, the problems and concerns can also cause you problems with sleep. Family problems before sleep can also effect sleep paterns. Never go to bed on an argument, that will keep you awkake, chewing over things Financial and worrying about Christmas can also be a real concern.

If you are in pain or other condition that can also keep you awake. A bed over ten years old may be past its comfort date, you will not get proper support and will not be able to sleep. We just changed a mattress earlier this year. You can also get memory foam toppers that can give the bed a longer life. We take one on holiday in case the bed is uncomfortable.

Look for reasons around the bed and life worries etc

Sometime a warm milky drink may help, try and have this about thirty mins before sleep, give your body a chance to settle in the tummy.

If yo do have a supper, try and have it around three or four hours before bed. to eat before sleep will activate the tummy and will start and digest as you try and sleep. I like a dram of whisky or dark rum the latter in warm milk sees me off to sleep when I have a cold or a serious worry. Try not making it habit forming

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.