Insomnia, feeling of chest/throat congestion. Please help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I'm a physically active and healthy 18 year old teenager. But I've been going through some scary and strange problems. I've had on and off insomnia for about a month, or 2. This time is the worst. I haven't gotten good sleep in about 3 days. Whenever I lay down and try to sleep my throat and chest feel congested like I'm having trouble breathing. I've already gone to a doctor, an urgent care clinic and the ER about this. They couldn't find anything wrong with me. My grandfather is mad at me for calling 911 twice to visit the hospital. I have no money, so I can't afford the bills. No matter what techniques I use I can't get to sleep. Please help. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Nathan,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Do you have tightness in your throat and chest?  Anxiety can cause these things but it wouldn't feel like actual congestion, just a tight feeling, even some trouble swallowing. 

Have you been super stressed recently?  Anxiety is the root of sleep problems for a great many individuals.  If that's what you have going on, i'd suggest getting to the bottom of whatever is troubling you, perhaps through therapy.  You mentioned not having the money to pay for visits but I am sure there are some other options available.  I am located in the US and many local health departments have social workers and licensed counselors that are trained to help with anxiety/depression/etc.  

• Posted

Things are better now. I've gotten decent sleep 3 nights in a row. But now I have this stining pricking pain on the far left side of chest. I know it's not heart related because my cholesterol rage was excellent. I'm worried that I might have respirtory problems due to being a metal vocalist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.