Insomnia: Signs of recovery or regression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

Has anyone here recovered from years of insomnia and experienced the following during their recovery journey:

I think I am sleeping more than I was, but am waking up feeling much, much worse and more tired than before. I'm also dreaming at 7 am (right when I wake up) and waking up in the middle of my dream. This is happening consistently and I feel terrible during the day.

I do not know if I am starting to recover from my 2 year 4 hr of sleep most nights insomnia or what. Is my mind trying to catch up on REM? What's going on here?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jade

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've not had insomnia for years but for some reason have battled it now for 7 months. I have suffered anxiety my whole life but it did not really effect my sleep but I think a period of stress just before I started with insomnia triggered it.

Then I made things worse by worrying about not sleeping and I would spend all day dreading going to bed, I would lie there having nervous sweats, fast heartbeat, so it then becomes impossible to get to sleep as stress hormones swim around my body.

I started taking Phenergan to help me sleep, I got 6 hours sleep on them but they made me groggy for most of the next day so it put me off taking them, so I resorted to drinking alcohol which I am doing every night to get to sleep, if I drink enough (about 4 cans of beer) it gets me to sleep fast, but it only keeps me asleep for between 2 and 4 hours. Maybe drinking 4 cans of beer before bed makes me need the toilet so when I do wake up in the middle of the night my bladder does seem full when I go to the toilet. I can usually get back to sleep for another couple of hours but the next day I feel tired, I don't think it's purely down to a lack of sleep but probably the toxic effects of alcohol as it depletes your body of vitamins and minerals if you drink every day.

Last month when I tried a night without alcohol I did not sleep a wink that night. So I resorted to alcohol the following night and I must have been so tired as I slept 8 hours without waking up like I normally do. So not surprisingly I am afraid that if I stop drinking at night I won't sleep. Alcohol doesn't give me a great sleep but I see it as better than nothing. I just hope alcohol won't effect my health long term but it probably will. I just hate having no sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.