Insomnia/sleep anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all, I'm new to insomnia, and feel I'm losing my mind, I've always slept like a log all my life until June this year, it started with a restless night sleep, then then for the next week, the sleep got worse, from a normal 7 hours to 3...I visited my doctor who prescribed antihistamines, which worked fine and I got over it until last week!! I had the restless night, and two nights following, I then resorted to taking an antihistamine, and then found it had no effect and I was up until 04.45 before unknowingly falling asleep...since then for 5 nights, I've had between 3 and 4 hours if I'm lucky, itsit's now come to the point where I find going to bed fills me with anxiety and I just lay there tossing and turning all night...I'm a healthy 47 year old m, a regular gym user, happily married and and have a good job...I'm not depressed...I visited my doctor again today and was told that 3 hours sleep a night isn't dangerous to health..of which I find that difficult to belive...ive tried deep breathing, soft music, meditation, warm drink, magnesium oil, massage...nothing is working to get me to fall asleep when I should, any help to rid me of this would be gratefully received...and to know I'm not alone..

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This sounds exactly like me last year, i went from a person who sleeps like a log, to really bad insomnia and sleeping tablets, and believe me when i say it does get better! Ive found listening to the telly helps me when i'm having a night like this now, i turn it on really quietly (normally 'Friends' cos its so lighthearted) close my eyes and just listen to the words and i stop stressing about going to sleep and then i actually do go to sleep! I also found the Puka Night Time Teas help, i usually have one to unwind before bed! Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.