Insomnia taking over my life

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 37 years old and my Insomnia started about 16 months ago. Before my insomnia I would fall a sleep in minutes and rarely wake up during the night. I'm pretty sure my insomnia started because for a week my roomate would cook late at night and wake me up. I would get anxietyish , but fall back a sleep. After a week my insomnia started.

when the insomnia started my then psychiatrist prescribed me Trazodone. it would take up to 3 Trazodones to sleep and I would sleep all different hours each night from 2-7 hours depending on how long it took me to calm down. Also at work I could only take naps after extreme breathing exercises. At the same time I discovered that on vacation I had no sleeping issues.

I left my Psychiatrist for various reasons and started seeing my general Doctor. He prescribed me Seroquel, but the one time I took it I slept for 14 hours and woke up with extreme dizziness. At the same time I tried a herbal sleep aid with Valerian root, hops,Magnesium, 5-HTP, Melatonin etc and that work for a while( not sure how long I used it for) and stopped using it because my sleep issues became some what better. This lasted for like 3 months.

when my sleeping issues started to get better until about a month ago before bed I take 2 Magnesium pills,3 Lavender Oil pills, Gaba powder and Inositol Powder. When the insomnia started to get better I would also do breathing exercises to help me sleep and on bad nights I would take a Trazodone to sleep and I would be a sleep in minutes.

Back in February/ March I went to Louisiana for a week and then to Florida for a week. when I came home I though my sleeping issues were over because for 2 months my sleeping issues were gone until one day they came back with one or two nights a week needing a Trazodone to sleep.

This lasted till about a month ago. Now my insomnia has come on extreme. Trazodone does not seem to work anymore. Couple of weeks ago I went to my Doctors office and saw the Nurse Practitioner and she prescribed me Rameleton, but I never tried it because I read it causes nightmares. My Doctor prescribed Wellbutrin, but I haven't seen a change. The sad part is I can only sleep 2-6 hours a night after drinking alcohol. 2 beers or 4 shots or 12oz of wine. I know Alcohol is not good as a sleep aid every night, but that is the only thing that gives me even 2 hours of sleep. If I don't drink alcohol I don't sleep. only on the rare good night without alcohol my brain wakes me up as soon as I fall a sleep. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm missing so much work and this insomnia is making me sad.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.