INSOMNIA: Waking up up several times every night.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there,

I am 22 and male, no underlying medical conditions and very healthy, if I may say so myself haha.

I've often had some form of mild insomnia (be it falling asleep or staying asleep), but for the last 1 or 2 years I've been waking up 2-4 times pretty much every night. I notice that almost every time I seem to be waking up after 90 min (approx. 1 sleep cycle) or 3 hours (approx. 2 sleep cycles). I understand, that one typically enters a brief "wake" phase after each cycle, so maybe I awake after a sleep cycle more than I should? Because, whenever I wake up, I tend to go to the toilet to urinate. It has become a persistent habit: sometimes I do indeed need to go to the toilet, but sometimes I simply go because I associate waking up at night with going to the toilet.

Been to a urologist, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong concerning my prostate, although my bladder muscles seems to be quite "strong". But I do think my problem is a sleep issue, not a urinary issue. I only consume caffeine (green tea) early in the morning and don't drink much water in the hours before bed.

I practice good sleep hygiene (little screen time and only with blue light filter, dark and cool bedroom, spend as little non-sleeping time in my bed as possible etc.) and have started supplementing melatonin (0.5mg - 1.0mg) + some herbal sleeping/relaxation aids. I have also started meditating approx. 20 min before bed to de-stress. But all these measures only slightly help. Some weeks are fine, while others are not good.

I assume that stress is the underlying cause of my problem, but I don't know how else to de-stress...? I have noticed that when I actually feel slightly stressed before bed, I will end up awakening several times at night. BUT, even when I am quite relaxed before bed, I will still often awake at night, and almost always after 90 min or 3 hours (see above).

Atm i go to bed between 9 and 10 pm and wake between 5 and 6 am. Falling asleep mostly isn't a problem (takes 15-30min) and I really don't think there is an issue with my circadian rhythm, since I avoid lights in the evening and try to get sunlight in the morning. I also eat dinner around 5-7pm, so not very late.

SO, if you made it this far (thank you!!) and have experienced something similar, or have an idea what could help, I would be super happy to discuss with you.

Thanks!

AK

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have much exercise in your life? i went through a time like this and then joined a gym. I noticed on the 2 days a week that I went, I slept very well. Just an idea.

• Posted

Yes, I'm quite active during the day and excercise about 4 times a week, mostly weightlifting but also some jogging. Thanks for the idea though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.