Insomnia when all family members are already asleep... How to deal with this?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there!

I can't sleep at nights when my boyfriend is already asleep... I start thinking about that everyone else can sleep so easily and I can't, so this became a horrible struggle how to sleep and not bother my family members who sleep easier and they have a better routine than me. I start worrying about my work (I'm a teacher) which starts at 8am and feel like I can't go to work. The nights that I sleep 2 to 4 hours I still go to work and suffer all day.

All of this started a year ago since then I'm afraid of going to bed every single day. I started seeing a therapist who prescribed me RIVOTRRIL which helped only at the beginning and after taking it for 8 months in low dozes I finally got taped off. Now I feel even worse. It's getting worse and worse. When I realize I can't sleep I start having a panic attack.. Then I wake my boyfriend up and tell him how much I hate when he has a good routine and I don't. I realize that I hurt him the next day but I can't do anything about it. I really hate this situation and I don't want to hurt my loved ones... Just don't know if this is a common reason for insomnia or is this a mental diagnosis or just a temporary thing. Please give me some direction if you can. Thank you so much!

P. S. I have got diagnosed PTSD. Always had extreme anxiety just recent years could deal with it better.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, ana! I'm so sorry you are suffering from insomnia and lack of sleep. First, quit worrying about your boyfriend and his feelings. Time to focus on you! The brain needs to get "rebooted" every so often as I like to call it. When random or worrying thoughts stop you from sleeping the best thing to do is to learn how to calm, distract, and rewire that brain. You do this using relaxation techniques such as breathing or visualization exercises, listening to white noise (sounds of rain, soft nonverbal music, etc.), and having a routine bedtime ritual. It will take some training and practice, but see what helps you the most. Be extra kind to yourself. Eat healthy, drop caffeine and reduce sugar, get some outside air by taking walks and making sure you really "see" what's around you (no thinking allowed, just see). There are lots of helpful free apps on the internet to assist you on this journey of self care. I hope this helps! And don't hesitate to see your doctor or get a second opinion. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi mjcg!

Thank you so much for your message. I'm so excited to see it. It gives me so much mental support. Thank you for the recommendation as well. I'm in a situation that I'm not sure where to start with and what can really be helpful. I became inpatient give me quickly. Before I used to be more active and hopeful... I'll do my best though!

• Posted

Just keep on keepin' on, ana. I can tell from your writing that you are a compassionate, caring, and intelligent individual. You can and WILL turn things around! Slow, steady, patient and be a little selfish (it's ok to put your self first sometimes!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.