Insomnia with Sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on Sertraline for just over a week now after changing from Mirtzapine. I started off on 25mg for one week then increasing to 50mg.

I have had the worst sleep ever since I started this. I'm still wide awake at 3 and 4am, worst night I was still awake at 5.30am. I've never been a great sleeper. I've always had trouble getting to sleep, but once I am I don't wake up except to go the loo. 

I've followed the advice and taken it in the morning which makes no difference at all! Saw my Gp today who told me to try taking it at night. I am a bit confused by that as that would surely make it worse! Does anyone have any advice and please tell me this doesn't last forever, as I don't think I could cope with that.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been on the new dosage?  I increased mine 19 days ago.  Been keeping a journal on it.  I take Motrin PM to help me get sleepy,  and then take half a Xanax to get over the anxiety I get from falling asleep.  I have been getting very broken up sleep,  waking up at 1:30am,  then 2:30,  then 3:30....  Finally getting up when the morning anxiety is too much to handle.  The past 2 nights however,  I have been able to get about 5 hours of sleep before waking up.  Still exhausted all day.  Hoping to get some more sleep soon.  Somethings I know that have helped people sleep are taking a magnesium supplement,  or taking melatonin.  Maybe one of those,  or a mild sleep aide like Motrin PM will help you catch some Z's.  I can tell you that it does not last forever though.  I have been on Zoloft for years.  The start up sleep is awful,  but it does eventually get better.  Hope this helps!

• Posted

I've been on the increased dose since Sunday. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that the insomnia does not last forever. I will research some of your suggestions. Many thanks.

• Posted

You have my sympathy. 

I'm on Day #30 of 50mg Sertraline, and crabby this morning because I didn't get enough sleep. However, in my first week of taking it, I averaged 4.5 hours a night (this includes 2 nights of no sleep at all). In the last 7 days I've averaged 6.7 hours a night (this includes 3 nights of 8 hours). 

In my experience, it does get better, although inevitably it feels not better enough. I'm crabby after 6 hours' sleep, when a month ago I would have been ecstatic. 

• Posted

I would be ecstatic at 6 hours at the moment but yes I see where you're coming from. Thanks for sharing your experience. It has given me some hope that things will get better. 

• Posted

Hi Sambo no it won't last forever. ... Doctors always say to change from morning til evening. I have been taking Sertraline 50mg for 2.5 weeks now and sleeping is still a problem... everyone is different I know. I take mine when i get up but due to not being able to sleep I'm not getting up til gone 12 noon. I keep reading this forum because I know most people say give it 4 weeks at least to get in to your system. Sorry I can't be of more help other than to say as an early side effect of insomnia is quite common. Hope you feel better soon. Kind regards, Maria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.