INSOMNIA - Zopiclone and Melatonin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

So, I am a long term insomnia sufferer, looking for the holy grail.

I have tried Melatonin, bought from Express Pharmacy Online and it does NOTHING for me at all. Started on 2mg, then 4mg and then 6mg. Nothing.

Anyone else found this?

Of course, the tablets could be fake.....

I also have Zopiclone if I anticipate a bad night or have to rise very early for work, and I need to sleep. I have the 3.75Mg form and prescribed by my Gp - so these are for sure not fake. Had one last night - nothing.

Any advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackson,

I've also had a lot of issues with insomnia over the years, mostly because of a bad opiate addiction, but it's gotten better since I went to rehab. I also tried Melatonin quite a few times and experienced nothing from it. I've also heard people say though that you have to be in the right mind set when taking it or else you kind of fight the natural urge to sleep that Melatonin helps to replicate. All it does it force the sleep process of the brain to happen a bit quicker. I believe the tablets you purchased are legit but there's only so much that Melatonin can do for you. I'm currently taking Quetiapine in 25 mg tablets and will take 1 and a half tablets a couple hours before bed and it's really helped me. That being said, I've also had a few nights over the past several months where I've had little to no sleep because of sleep anxiety. If you like sleep stories and other soothing sounds for when you're having trouble sleeping, I would highly recommend downloading the app, Calm, which is on Apple and Android I believe. It's free and has a lot of really good tools to help you sleep. I always thought that medications were the answer to a good sleep but the truth is, as long as you're in the right mindset and learn to let your mind drift from everything for a while, you'll have a good sleep. Hope this helps you. Take care!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if sometimes my insomnia is as result of many many years of taking Ecstasy in the 90's and early 2000 - a long time a go now, but Ive had it for about 15 years anyway.

I do listen to Headspace and the various stories, and they did help for a while. I was falling asleep with no pills. But no if I do fall asleep with a story, I wake up when it ends. Now I am sick of listening to sleep music or stories, that in itself has become a habit at bedtime that I now associate in trying to get to sleep, so therefore it now hinders more than helps, if that makes sense .

I have also tried; acupuncture, CBT, hypnotherapy and reflexology. Nothing really works.

You are right, much of it now is anxiety, at nighttime. I am really tierd, think - 'oh I will have no problem tonight' and then when I turn down the lights, I just cant get to sleep, or wake up after the 45 story. By which time my husband is snoring loudly, so I get up and go sleep on the floor of . another room. Its crazy. I am up at 6am for work.

I wish I knew the answer....but I know its all in the mind.

Thanks again.

• Posted

I had a several month long period of extreme insomnia. I found that melatonin had absolutely no effect. I tried Zopiclone as well. I think they were double the strength of

yours but I can't remember for sure. Anyway they didn't work either and left an appalling taste in my mouth the next day. I think the only drug that worked to some extent was a couple of diazepams. That might be the best bet for occasional use.

I eventually came to the conclusion that anything I "tried" to do to get rid of the problem wouldn't work. The only way I got out of it was to accept the situation as it was. Even though I felt lousy it wasn't going to kill me. When I stopped trying to solve it, it eventually cleared up. I know that is a lot easier said than done but it was my experience.

• Posted

Hi. At the height of my insomnia I tried sleeping pills & whilst they never failed to get me to sleep when I woke up I never felt refreshed like from a natural sleep. It was a chemical induced sleep, which whilst no doubt is better than no sleep it's still not a substitute for natural sleep. I also swapped bedrooms, tried to sleep on the couch, on the floor....did all sorts of desperate things to try & get some sleep but this desperation, mixing things up & worry made things worse. So in terms of advice the best thing I did was not worrying about not sleeping. Once I stopped fearing it I gradually started to sleep better again. I know it's easier said than done but it can be achieved.

• Posted

Thanks - to @gatheth51625 and yourself. I totally relate. Its all in the mind, which is the frustrating thing. Last nightI had 4mg melatonin, NOTHING else and slept from 10.30 till 2am and then 3am till 5am - and very deeply. Go figure. I guess I have to accept there will be good nights, bad nights and horrific nights, thats just how it is, and relax into knowing that occasionally I might sleep well.

Thanks again.

• Posted

hi

ive suffered with insomnia now for 2years , it's ruined my life ive tryed everything nothing works,g.p. gives me zoplicone rubbish maybe one hour,i average get 2/3hours sleep every 3nights, sometimes awake 72 in a whole week i average 5/6hours total, people and doctors say thats impossible, always feel terrible,run down, please anyone suggest a strong sleeping tablet i can buy or something please help

thanks Phil

• Posted

how is your insomnia? you can try sleep aid from costco it is cheap and works for me most of the time let me know if you have found anything else since you posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.