That is called purpose.

You are here for a reason

so don't ever give up.

6 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey that sounds familiar. Ha!
    • Posted

I'm five weeks in feeling better than ever before. I now realize to feel like this forever I have to quit drinking forever. I'm so doing that...
    • Posted

Hi Matt, biggrin

I hear ya all the way.. Not one more drink.. U r letting go of the madness that held u captive. Now u can be Matt the Man who has enough confidence to understand that alcohol doesn't have to control every thought. One day at a time. UR powerful UR strong UR getting a new life. If u ever need help it's always there never give in to the addiction . Fight for help when u need to!

• Posted

Where are those words from? They may be well and fine and correct even, but at my darkness I could put my hand on my heart and feel no purpose just anxiety.  I was reading an interview with Robin Williams which was from around the release of a film called 'Worlds best dad' - its really resonanted with me especially the arghhhhhh at the end.

"I was in a small town where it's not the edge of the world, but you can see it from there, and then I thought: drinking. I just thought, hey, maybe drinking will help. Because I felt alone and afraid. It was that thing of working so much, and going f*ck, maybe that will help. And it was the worst thing in the world." What did he feel like when he had his first drink? "You feel warm and kind of wonderful. And then the next thing you know, it's a problem, and you're isolated."

Some have suggested it was Christopher Reeve's death that turned him back to drink. "No," he says quietly, "it's more selfish than that. It's just literally being afraid. And you think, oh, this will ease the fear. And it doesn't." What was he afraid of? "Everything. It's just a general all-round arggghhh. It's fearfulness and anxiety."

I guess for me thats how i feel sometimes - then i get selfish, selfish selfish and lapse

• Posted

Hi Steve...

Anxiety  & fear is the #1 universal reason for alcoholism.. Thee r medications to take the edge off the anxiety driven emotional drinkers.

please ask UR dr for help. Some medications take the drink cravings  out of constant the  thoughts ruling daily life. Giving a break to that constant voice nagging over & over . Meds can stop the anxiety & fear.. It's takes time to find the meds right for u.. U must understand that logically. UR aware hormones in the brain control UR anxiety? Sometimes imbalance of those hormones leads to uncontrolled addictive behaviors. 

Dont compare uself to Williams he also in a manic depressive and mixed bi polar. Another major hormone imbalance in the brain. A life time of drinking causes many forms of mental illness. He has many character disorders. Just because he is famous does not dismiss his actions to take his own life. 

It will be interesting to see what his toxic report says. I will bet u anything that he was on meds for emotional needs diagnosed with serious mental illness and over dosed his own meds and other meds. No one and I mean absolutely no one drinks as moch as Williams did over his life time and the drugs he did without the mental illness issues that played a major role in his health & addictive issues and death. In spite of any physical illness also brought on by alcohol...Parkinson's disease... Not a excuse to do what he did...

He was brilliant also cold and cruel to do what he did to his family forever leaving them in the quandary if only....Taking ones own life instead of going to all the resources available to him speakes volumes of his selfish life long behaviors. He left his family who worked so hard all his life to help him wondering....if only. why, for the rest of their lives. Is that what a sane person would leave to their children.  He left them a pain like no other ...forever. This will scar the it lives forever...He took his life so violently , so selfishly with no concern for others. No one in their right mind could do that without stopping themselves by thinking , will this action hurt my children my wife my family ? i love them too much to ever hurt them.. But no mental illness told the story of his final actions thru a lifetime of addiction...that's just a small piece of the story. I'm sure there's volumes more.

I was appalled at the media making him out to be a hero.  No he was a coward and took the cowards way out. He could fight to be well like the rest of us. What is that telling our children.. Because u have addictions depression and stop UR meds flip out its OK TO BAIL OUT...not the message I would want to leave my children.

Thats not not the morals & values I was brought up with. LIFE IS A GIFT,

Take it , use it for the good in UR life.. Not for the evil that addiction will take u. Learn from which u learned from the addiction..pay it foreword... Give urself purpose in life help and love others.. UR heart does not belong only to you but UR friends and family who love u. 

If u need help all u need is to ask... so many love u and want to be there for YOU ! biggrin

So for whatever reasons u live and the beliefs u have that UR on this planet.... just remember u r loved deeply..love urself and forgive urself...

biggrinbiggrin

• Posted

that is a wonderfully positive way of looking at it :-) 

My second evening dry I was twitchy at six so had a bath ....now for the rest of a dry relaxing saturday evening

• Posted

Hi them are the words that helped l have been dry now for about 2 years and it is wonderfull, take one day at a time, as hope says life is good. Good luck and best wishes
    • Posted

I adopted this saying to keep things simple and to not over think. The other one I heard which I love is "I cannot tell the future.  I don't even know what will happen tomorrow. But today I am sober and today is a great day."  
    • Posted

Do u have help? There is help! Ask for it and u will be glad u did.. biggrin
    • Posted

Al,

UR on UR way to a better life .. Enjoy living feeling and most of all UR giving back helping others here...biggrin

• Posted

strange saturday night am feeling a bit pleased with myself :-) Nothing to drink here and the local shop shut at 10. thats 2 evenings done, feeling pleased
    • Posted

Awesome. Small victories will win the "war"  if you ever feel tempted just reach out to here. There are a lot of us that want success for all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.