Instilling topical antibiotic and prednisolone eye drops

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a question about instilling the antibiotic and prednisolone eye drops. My technique seems a little lacking and the drop often lands on the edge of my lid. When that happens, I need to decide whether to supplement with another try. In others words, do you try again or assume something must have landed in the eye even if not a full drop and that's enough? Many thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

My technique is to lie back, and look straight up at the tip of the bottle. The image is fuzzy, because the distance might be an inch. I gently squeeze so a drop forms, and I don't know when it will drop. When it drops, it is to fast for me to blink.

I don't remember missing.

• Posted

You're so lucky! I can hit the target practicing on my unoperated eye but not where it counts in my operated eye. Reminds me of bowling and gutter balls. I must be doing the same thing wrong each time because I keep hitting the same spot on the edge of my lower eyelid.

• Edited

I use a mirror. I tilt my head to the side, pull the lower lid down with my opposite hand, rest the thumb knuckle or my dropper hand on my cheekbone, and drop one drop into the pocket of the lower eye lid. Then I gently close the eye and lay down for a few minutes to let it soak in. If that doesn't work, you can actually buy a thingie that helps you put drops in. Search on "eye drop helper". But yes if you think you missed badly, I don't think there's any harm in trying a second drop.

• Posted

Thanks David. Have you seen a good video of that technique?

• Posted

i think the main thing, regardless if you tilt your head back or sideways or do it lying down etc. is to have somewhere to rest the dropper hand. If you just hold the dropped free in space it's going to move around and you will miss every time. Find a way to brace / rest that hand. There are a lot of videos on YouTube. Try searching on "how to use eye drops properly " or "tips for putting in eye drops 3 techniques". My thing is that i just drop the drop in the pocket not right on the cornea and then close my eye and tilt my head back.

• Posted

Thanks David. I just googled tips for putting in eye drops 3 techniques which brought up several promising videos!

• Edited

I recall that when I was doing the prescription drops after surgery I would lie down on the couch to get my head well back, and look straight up to put the drops in. I don't do that any longer with the dry eye drops I use two or three times a day. I just do it standing up but with my head well back. I think the secret is the bottom eyelid. I now use two fingers on the bottom eyelid and pull it well down to make a big target. You feel a successful hit with the drop, and vision will be blurry after for a few seconds.

• Edited

One small tip I used was keeping the drops in the fridge. It just helps you know you hit the target (if you're not using a mirror) because you feel the cold drop.

• Posted

Thanks David! I was able to put the drop in my eye first time this morning. I think having more light in the room helps but maybe I've turned a corner on this challenging task!

• Posted

An enhancement is to push a finger over your tear duct that drains to the nose. If you don't drain to the nose, there treatment is at the eye longer.

Try this Google search:

tear duct press finger drops

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.