Insulin just doesn't seem to be working, SUPER HIGH blood sugar. What do I do???

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had a problem with high blood sugar. I have type 2 diabetes, am overweight, and take a lot of meds on the regular. My blood sugar eventually went from being in the high 200's at max to almost hitting 600! So I finally decided to go on insulin. (yes i know its not a cure-all, but I knew it would help out while I try to get better.) I ended up getting humalog for fast-acting, and another for long lasting. This morning, I woke up with 470 as my number!!! So i took my dose of humalog and waited 45 minutes, checked again, and it was only down to 437. Took a BIGGER DOSE later, like a lot more units (25 I think?) waited 2 hours then checked again. and it went up to 457. Like what the heck??? I haven't had anything bad today, and have been drinking lots of water. What is going on? Am I not waiting long enough? Should I be super worried? I don't want to go back to the doctor because they'll just tell me to up my dose which I did. Any help would be fantastic.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I suggest you go and see a doctor. By increasing insulin dose, your symptoms did not improve, which suggests that insulin may not be the cause of your problem. It could be due to the lack of downstream receptors in your body, no matter how much insulin you take. Insufficient receptors makes signal transduction ineffective and you cannot change that status by simply increasing the dosage. Like the sense of taste, if you do not have enough receptors in your tongue with the ability to taste sweetness, no matter how much sugar you take, you still cannot taste the sugar.

• Edited

I am also a type 2 diabetic using insulin along with 2000 mg of metformin per day. My normal routine is 38 units of Tresiba once daily in the evening. And I take about 12 units of Novo Rapid before each meal with a little more or a little less depending on the amount of carbs in the meal. This gives me pretty good BG control. I normally wake up in the morning at about 100 mg/dl.

Your numbers seem quite high and I really think you should see your doctor. The normal way a type 2 starts insulin is to use a once daily injection of a long acting insulin like Tresiba first to bring things generally into control.

I also use a Freestyle Libre sensor which gives me a 24 hour record of my BG levels. It helps a lot in determining what is going on, and gives me a way to show my doctor what is happening. They are expensive if not covered by insurance, but even if you just use one for a month or so, you could learn a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.