Insurance cover - UK

Posted , 8 users are following.

After my recent diagnosis of AF I'm obviously more concious of the need for insurance (life, health, travel) but I can't find anywhere that would include treatment for AF (regardless of cost) should I need it in the future (I've had what is considered to be a successful ablation 6 months ago and am currently on no meds). Has anyone got any advice as I would like to go on holiday but I'm holding off as AF would be excluded from any policy, I've also tried to get private healthcare cover but cant get AF included on any policy either - any advice would be very welcome thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have AF, I am on amiodrone and have no symptoms now and I refused the ablation. I really feel you are over thinking the insurance, I just buy a normal one, cant waste my money and life worrying. I shall be looking forward to reading the other opinions - 
    • Posted

Is your EP/Cardiologist happy to allow you to stay on Amiodarobe in the long term?
    • Posted

Be careful! if youre still in paroxysmal AF and refusing an ablation, you run the risk of permanent AF and all that entails. Catheter ablations have a very good success rate for Paroxysmal AF but not when it becomes permanent where it decreases quite significantly. Look it up!
    • Posted

My short term cardio guy has long gone, my family doc doesnt say anything, just gives me more prescriptions. 
    • Posted

Thankyou, but  I have no symptoms now with the Amio 200. The  emergemcy laparotomy I had really messed me up, I have not been fit since so I really cant do any more ops.
    • Posted

Hi Jay, presumably you are aware of the potentially very nasty side effects of longer term Amioderone use?

I was on it short term and it really dug me out of the hole I was in, and it is great for doing that, but most cardiologists prescribe it as a last resort because of what it can do with longer term use.

• Posted

Most I've seen prescribe it at the drop of a hat ignoring the fact that it should only be prescribed for life threatening arrhythmias.

A friend after having a pacemaker fitted was told that he needed to be on it for life. When his face and neck turned a blueish grey he disregarded that advice.  

• Posted

Steve I have AF and on medication but have not had an ablation.

​I have worldwide trave insurance and spoke with the medical people, didn't hold anything back and they paassed me for insurance at no extra cost.

​I have insurance thru my UK bank.

• Posted

Thanks for your input guys - I've been looking at private health insurance as my experiences with the nhs in the last 12 months have been quite bad so I'd be more than happy to pay for private Heath insurance (even though I now have no Heath concerns) but only if it covered me for any future AF problems.

• Posted

I would stick with the NHS for treatment although the odd self financed appointment with an EP is sometimes worthwhile. AF treatment is very expensive as ablations can take five hours and can cost up to £15K. A pacemaker if ever needed would also be expensive.

When I wanted a cardioversion more quickly than the NHS would do it it was going to mean two consultant appointments and about £1750 for a procedure that just takes a few minutes.  

• Posted

I've had AF permanent now for 5/6 yrs. I've had no trouble with travel insurance and a take a yearly policy . I have atenolol,rampril and rivaroxiban  listed and have had no trouble. Google travel insurance with pre existing medical condition. I can send you my ins company name but it would have to be by message as I don't think it will send on the forum.

Also read up the latest on afib. Brilliant and reassuring articles from.  Legacy p1 and also a very eminent electrophysist..drjohnm. This has helped me so much. I'm more able to cope. One of these researchers have shown that lifestyle changes has stopped a/ fib and has drastically reduced the effects of a fib. Do read it. Let me know what you think. 

• Posted

I find that we can post names but not links.

I found insureandgo to be very good. I can even get insurance with my aortic aneurysm excluded. They cover BP with up to two tablets controlling it, add a third and they add a supplement

• Posted

I've just cancelled a trip to Bali that I had planned for my 50th as I had jumped out of rhythm 3times in 6 weeks earlier this year. Had an ablation just over two weeks ago.

have been playing around with some of the online insurance forms to see how I'd go getting travel insurance.

basicaly what I have found out by giving different answers to the questions

on the forms is that no one will touch you if you have had any unexpected trips to hospital within the last 12 months. So hope to travel in around 12 months from now if all goes well.

Fortunately, I've had private health cover for the last 30 years. Barely used for the first 20, but have more than made up for it over the last decade!!

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to mention that I live in Australia.

Things will probably vary from country to country I suspect.?

• Posted

I thought policies include pre-existing conditions and afib is one. Do not understand why not included. Could you tell me about your successful ablation.?Why did you have it?
    • Posted

I had it done at Blackpool hospital last August - hated the feeling of having a "ticking time bomb" under my chest and hate the idea of taking meds for the rest of my life (I'm 36) so took the chance - so far so good - no recorded episodes of AF since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.