Insurance question

Posted , 4 users are following.

When renewing car, or in this case Motorcycle insurance one of the questions from the broker is usually along the lines of "do you have any medical conditions we should be aware of that may effect your ability to drive"

If the insured has recently suffered a TIA does this come uncer the heading of "should tell insurers" or not.

Asking for a friend. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jason I had a tia over a month now I drive on seeing the stroke speacilist he told me yes I can drive as I have no effects my insurance have been told and they have told me that due to no long term effects you can still drive if it's a full stroke which leaves disabilities then I would of thought no hope this answers your question 

• Posted

Assuming it's a TIA you have to wait 4 weeks before driving. The neuro and the GP had told me this but it's all online anyway, that spells it out.

I told the car insurance company 'just in case' and they weren't concerned. I made a note of that conversation, date, time and result of enquiry to protect myself in the event of something happening, it's the other drivers' mistakes as well as the TIA indivdual! Best to be on the safe side.

• Posted

That makes sense, particularly the make a note of the time date and content of the conversation.
  • Posted

Hi Jason I tried to post 2 links but they're still waiting to be moderated. The first is on the main Gov website - search for Driving after stroke/TIAS. Ditto search on stroke.org for other useful advice - these 2  sections tell you all you need to know, including the law.

• Posted

Thanks for that effie, I've seen both links and they confirm what I ...err my friend ... had been told by my .. his... consultant.

"my friend" was renewing his bke insurance yesterday and one of the questions they asked was whether there were any medical conditions that would affect his ability to drive. Looking at the DVLA advice I don't need to do anything once it is 4 weeks from the incidence, I guess it changes if I continue to get them.

I mean he gets them.

• Posted

I had a 'friend' like that once, more than once come to think of it,  LOL, don't they get us to do all their dirty work?

• Posted

I haven't yet got a car and had insurance yet waiting to see what you find out I'm in Australia I had to get my licence back after the tia are you in Australia I thought once your able to work or able to look after a family you can't be denied insurance as long as your taking your medication.

• Posted

Hello Rose, I haven't been in AUstralia since 1982.

I spoke to my consultant and it seems at the level I have experienced them TIA is not notifiable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.