Intense anxiety about the gym

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been a member of gyms in the past. When I was a teenager I went to the YMCA, and last year I went to a gym where I pretty much only did zumba. I was never very comfortable with using the equipment but I never was as paranoid as I am now. My boyfriend and one of my best friends and I recently joined Planet Fitness. I have been once (2 weeks ago), did 20 minutes on the elliptical, was too afraid to do anything else, and haven't stepped foot back in there since. Last week, my boyfriend and I were going to go at a time when there would hopefully be less people there, but I got to the door and froze. I could not make myself go in and was in tears by the time I got back to the car. Everytime I think about going, I feel intense anxiety, my chest gets tight, and I'm even afraid at the thought of working out on my own at home. I feel like my boyfriend is the only one I can talk to about it because he also suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. I am supposed to go to the gym with my friends in a few days and the thought makes me sick to my stomach. She is very outgoing and doesn't always understand my anxiety. I don't know what to do. I'm seeing my therapist in a few days, but any other advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can't go to the gym right now! Come up with an excuse for your girlfriend....WHY put yourself in a situation that makes you THAT uncomfortable?  No need to work out...that bad.  I havent worked out in years..LOL...and I'm still alive...smile

You will get thru this...but you have to work on it with your therapist...its some sort of social phobia/anxiety

Its not healthy to do things that make you feel this bad (hence erasing any benefits the exercise would have anyway!

As soon as you tell your girlfriend you are not going to the gym, you will feel immediately better....Ask her to do something ELSE with you..go for coffee or a sandwich.

I'm sure you can come up with a reason ...some small lie...I pulled my "calf" muscle.  Do you only feel this way at the gym?  Not in resturaunts or out in public?  If it is only at the gym....for me the reason would be...I don't like people seeing me "with less clothes" and I don't like people seeing me getting all sweaty and not my most attractive...those are my reasons why I wouldn't go to a gym.  But, that is ME...

Those people dont care what I look like....but I really do.

• Posted

I went to the gym and zumba for just over 2 years ad then when my panic attack kicked in 4 weeks ago i couldnt go coz i didnt want to have a shower for a fear of water on my skin as i thought i was drowning. and the shower room was so hot i couldnt breath. the noise and the crowd was too uncomfortable so i have just joined Slimming World to lose and stay fit. I use the open park gym as its not enclosed and the fresh air is fab.
  • Posted

Honesty is the best policy as you will be lying to yourself and you want to get better
  • Posted

Ashley only go to wherever your comfortable whenever your comfortable. dont let others control ur activities because they will panic when u have an episode

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.