Intense Anxiety; Everything Is Just Getting On Top Of Me

Posted , 4 users are following.

My family are trying to make me do things beyond my comfort zone to help try and ease my anxiety - such as saying to less immediate family members that I can go to their house and do some gardening for them without consulting me - and I'm just getting the most horrific anxiety - intense pain in my stomach, sweating, sleeplessness when I think about it. 

Not only that, but I deferred from college this year to focus on my mental health and the thought of going back next year, among people I don't know, is absolutely killing me mentally too and triggering some of the worst anxiety - if not on the border of panic attacks - I've ever felt. 

All of this is just piling on top of me and I have absolutely no idea what to do. I try and tell my family, but they insist and will start being quite abusive like "you don't want to get better cuz then you can't use it as an excuse!" or such and I need to go back to college next year or my life is screwed. Help. 

(For my depression, anger and anxiety, I am currently on my fourth week of counselling out of six. But it's not really helped my depression or anxiety much - just my anger which is good, but not enough.)

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You will have to learn to say 'no' to them.  Gardening for someone else-- I wouldn't like it!!  But then again it is being outside and working alone so you might want to give that a second thought.  As far as college goes, I understand as I had anxiety about attending my classes-- I was nervous for whatever reason. Somehow I made it thru which was a  blessing.  You can try it again with a lighter course load or even take a couple classes online.   I still have anxiety and it will always be a part of my life.  Going to therapy helps so continue on with it and let them know your struggles.  I also find that getting out DOES help.  Yes, I get really nervous and overthink BUT when I'm out with friends or family or even a celebration, I feel good about participating.   Perhaps you can try too.  Noone can make you do anything but we have a responsibility to help ourselves.

• Posted

Hello, thank you for the response.

I'm going back to college next year, dropping the subject that was my main peeve in favour of something easier. 

The issue is, when I do say no, that's when the abuse and excuses start from them. They know how bad my anxiety is, but they don't care and, at this point, I don't see much improvement keeping on with therapy, my anxiety is the same (if not worse) as when I started. I'll go to say I did the six sessions, but it's not helping.

I am awful at speaking to people, which is why I have the apprehensions, because of the awkwardness the silence creates (also part of the reason I get anxious about therapy - there are intense moments of silence). 

I'm hoping to get the chance to try some medication to aid my anxiety in a few weeks after I finish the counselling. 

• Posted

HI I think your family have got a hell of a cheek volunteering you for jobs like this.  Say no and if they are so keen to get the jobs done then do them themselves.  Don't make excuses or get annoyed and stay calm.  Just say no and leave it at that.  If they start being abusive just walk away or go for a walk or something.  Not east to do but then being assertive isn't but it will stand you in very good stead in the future if you can learn this skill.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.