Intense attacks of knee pain 7 weeks after scope

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello!  I feel I really need help!  I had arthroscopic surgery 7 weeks ago to repair a lateral meniscus tear and clean up some arthritis.  The recovery has been unexpectedly slow and painful.  I am in PT and I just had another MRI that showed my knee is as it should be after surgery.  I do have grade 3 chondromalacia, but my doctor has not really addressed that as a cause of pain.  Since surgery I have been getting periodic severe attacks of pain.  They usually last around 15-20 minutes.  I’m not talking about the regular stiff, achiness that is present all the time.  This pain is intense, hard to breathe type of intensity!  My doctor suggested I may have reflex sympathetic dystrophy.  I have read about it, and it sounds horrible. I am trying to stay positive that in time I will feel better, but I don’t understand these attacks, why they are happening, and what I can do to help prevent them.  If anyone has any thoughts, please, please respond.  Thank you!  Elizabeth

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Was the meniscus actually repaired? I had a lateral meniscus repair 8 weeks ago, and it's been super slow. I'm just now getting back to walking normal, and it's still painful at times. My surgeon said that sometime between 2 and 3 months, most people get severe stabbing pains around the repair site, and that's normal. It's the stitches in the meniscus dissolving and everything is trying to find it's "home" again. 

• Posted

Thank you for the response!  It was not repaired rather trimmed so there was no longer a portion with a tear.  No internal stitches.  I was told I would be ready to resume normal daily activity in a week or less.  I am use to living with pain.  I have been a chronic migraine patient for 26 years.  However, this intense knee pain is on a whole other level.  Did you do physical therapy?  I have been, but some days I am just too sore to do much.  Any advice?  Thank you?
    • Posted

H Ray - hope your are still active on here! I had a meniscus repair about 7 weeks ago now and while the swelling has pretty much gone I too have these stabbing pains around the area - my physio said its everything settling down again and adjusting to how it should be etc. How are you doing now?
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, feel for you. I had mine coming up to 7 weeks ago, meniscus tear and told no cartilage on one side. But still swollen, intense shooting pains, that make me yelp! Feels like gives way, still using a crutch, cant put much weight on it, cant straighten or bend fully, stiff too. Have emailed surgeon to see him soon. I wish I could offer something more then I understanding where you are. Not were we both thought we would be after 7 weeks..
    • Posted

Vanessa,  no, this is not what I expected at all.  I am looking for a second opinion and I have an appointment with a pain clinic soon.  I am fearful that my initial pain was not from a meniscus tear but from grade III chondral degeneration.  I am back on crutches to see if not bearing weight can calm things down.  Currently, I am leaving the house very little.  Maybe twice a week for a quick appointment or errand.  I’m curious how you are doing.  Has the doctor offered any insight on what is going on?  Best wishes!
  • Posted

Now 74, I had a similar knee arthroscopy performed 17 years ago. It was followed with physiotherapy in combination with a TENS machine. I believe the TENS therapy controlled pain, stimulated joint recovery and was the main reason for the continuing successful outcome?, in my case. It is also important to maintain low impact exercise - I continue with walking and also the periodic use of an elliptical trainer in the gym.

?Apart from the very occasional twinge, I am so thankful that the orthopaedic surgeon chose to go with arthroscopy, rather than total knee replacement that had been proposed as the only option, by two of his peers.

• Posted

I had the same type of surgery 3/2. I had tricompartmental osteoarthritis,tearing of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus with medial extrusion of the medial meniscal body and a grade 1 sprain. I am having pain radiating in my leg on the right side of the surgery area. The pain is an achy feeling but hurts for about 10-15 minutes. I am not in physical therapy, but I have to stop and exercise it when this starts to hurt. Waiting to hear back from the doctor. How are you feeling?
    • Posted

I am still in a very stable condition with only occasional, very brief pain.

​However, my wife who had similar knee deterioration, had an arthroscopy performed in March - after some weeks and at my insistence she requested physio, but she is in constant discomfort and after a couple of hours on her feet, her knee swells badly and the pain is (obviously) intense.

​I personally believe that a successful outcome may lie in the ability and connection between the orthopaedic surgeon and the physio. Unfortunately, both my surgeon and the physio had retired before my wife decided to act.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.