intense chest pain and palpitations constantly feeling like I'm been suffocated! Advice please

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI everyone I'm laura and I'm 22, basically iv had what doctors say is health anxiety and I don't belive them for one minute I know there the experts but I'm constantly feeling like I'm been misdiagnosed or there missing something sad long story short iv had panic attacks on a daily basis since December, iv had a few cbest infections and basically my general health has gone downhill since December, it all started just before newyeears eve I had my first propa "panic attack" convinced I was having a heart attack and so my dad rushed me to hospital I had the typical ecg, blood tests, heart enzymes checked and also chest x ray all to which was normal, ever since then I got diagnosed with anxiety and also costochondritis! Also had low vitamin d so was prescribed tablets, I'm also taking propanolol 10mg once a day ( reduced from 3 a day )and I'm also on 30mg of mirtazipine at night, now since December I have had 7 ecgs, 24 hour ecg, numerous blood tests and x rays to which they say they can't find anything but I'm convinced they are missing something everyday without fail I have severe chest/breast pain radiating to my left arm/jaw etc but it doesn't usually lead to a panic attack! My heart is currently pounding and I feel like I'm gunna pass out or something bad is gunna happen to me, I'm so focused on my heart and I'm always fearing the worse!! I know it's easy to say focus on something else I try reading books, games on my phone talking to family /friends my partner etc but nothing takes my mind of it maybe I should go back upto 3 a day of propranolol but I want to come of them hence why iv gone down to 1 a day but what I'm trying to say is they anyone out there with the same symptoms as me on same medication that have found a way to cope with not focusing on my heart and thinking that I'm having a heart attack all day every day even when I'm at work I'm always clutching my chest because when the pain comes it comes in waves that are so strong I feel sick and weak and that I'm gunna die there and then!! So has anybody please got aby advice to give me on how to cope with this chest pain I take painkillers but I don't want to get used to them I'm just petrified I'm currently sat clutching my chest because the pain feels like my heart is gunna explode sad can I have a heart attack just like that? I'm always thinking what if? What if it happens and I think it's a panic attack and it turns out to not be and it's not sad I know I sound stupid but I'm literally so scared and I don't know what to do sad thanks for reading x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well my darkest days were in the beginning I didn't know what was wrong with me neither did anyone else at that point I felt ill all the time so didn't eat much also couldn't travel as it started as travel sickness so had alot of weight loss plus the scans and the tests and I'll be honest there was a few times when I just thought what's the point but I just hung in there and I don't know it was more really I didn't want to let it beat me but also I found what my triggers were I still get Hest pains and down my left arm and feel ill sometimes but the pains come more when I'm not doing anything because that's when you think more even if you don't think you are the sickness is in certain situations for example if im on a train I know if I start to feel ill I have no escape so in turn that makes me feel ill if I have an escape I feel fine if you don't know what yours are I suggest you write them down or memorise what you're doing and what situation you are in when it happens and from that it's much easier to get around and find a way to tackle it
  • Posted

You just need to figure out what combination of things helps you the most. For me it is CBT, meditation, medication, music, talking to my mother and eating properly
  • Posted

!0 mg of propranalol is a really tiny, tiny, dosage. You can easily have 3 a day. I take 40mg three times a day and nothing bad has happened to me. I find they really help with the heart palpitations etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.