Intense fear/anxiety that I might have cancer after dream

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 15 f and have general anxiety.

I had a very realistic dream last night in which I was told by a doctor that they had detected something in my bowel that could be cancer. The majority of the dream was spent feeling extremely scared and talking to my mum (who I moved away from a few months ago) about it. I was the only person who didn't want to believe that I had cancer and kept trying to convince myself it wasn't cancer. My mum (having been a nurse) pretty much knew that the doctors were right even though she couldn't tell me explicitly. After the doctors had done some 'tests', I went in with my mum to talk to a doctor and I remember looking over and seeing a file that said 'cancer' on it with my name, and asked the doctor if it was true in disbelief and she said yes. I asked how bad it was and she just raised her hand, shook it like 'so-so' and looked apologetic and made a 'mmmmm..' noise. She then tried to talk me through the treatment plan but I just started screaming and crying because the dream seemed so real. 

I then woke up and was so surprised that it was only a dream. But the fear hasn't left me yet. For about a minute I had myself convinced that I WAS dead. Then I realised I wasn't and just cried.

I'm SO TERRIFIED that I do have cancer!! I feel like it's inside my body right now and I all I want is to be scanned so I can know if I do or not. I don't want to die. I want my mum. I feel very nauseous and heavy headed.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Terrible dream. I am so sorry. If it is any consolation you are so very unlikely to have colon or stomach cancer at your age smile Also if it is any consolation dreams are very rarely directly prophetic. They usually mean something else. I don't know why you are away from your mum but i am sure the answer is in there somewhere. Maybe this dream will serve to help you reach a better place so you don't eat yourself up (analogy with cancer) over whatever it is that is getting you worked up. Sending love.
    • Posted

I said virually the same thing Purple a few posts down. smile Your gonna be fine Izzy it's a horrible dream to have, but get yourself some peace of mind get to the DR get the blood tests.
    • Posted

Hey thank you so much for your reply smile I've thought about it and the dream was most likely linked to the move away from my mum back to my hometown, and my difficulty making friends at my old school that i've rejoined. I've just come back from a couple of nights away at the seaside so i'm feeling a lot better about the dream
  • Posted

Speak to you parents about it sweet and let them get you some help

Stay strongcheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Izzy

​Talk to your mum, and go to the DR's hun. Don't worry yourself. Using freuds' dream hypothisis. The file could represent an upcoming event your unsure about, or something happening in your life you have no control over something. You mention you have genralised anxiety disorder are you on any medications would be helpful to know as I come from a scientific background and might be able to alay so of your fears, but most importantly DON'T suffer in silence talk about it, like your doing now. Have a chat with your mum and go to the Dr. Don't be scared your 99.9% in the clear, but your not gonna believe it until the Dr run some blood tests. Your fine smile

• Posted

Its a dream and probably does mean something. Maybe someone in your life is hurting you, or bad for you. Dreams arent black and white. They are representations of something. Only you can really interpet them. Look up dream interpretations. purpledobermqns got the right idea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.