Intense pain and large clots after UFE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 38 and had my 2nd UFE procedure in November. The first 2 periods afterwards were heavy but normal. The 3rd one came with lots of blood clots which a new experience for me and kind of scary - but I had no idea how much worse it was going to get. Only a few days after my 3rd period ended, I started bleeding again and this time it came with an intense amount of pain and very large very frequent blood clots and has now lasted for almost 30 days. My post UFE MRI and ultrasound showed that one of the large fibroids is dying but also kinda hanging inside the uterus towards the cervix and that's what's causing the extreme pain. Last week I developed a fever and ended up going to the ER which is the last place I wanted to go in the middle of a pandemic. They did a few tests to rule out infection but also found out that my blood count was extremely low, just above the limit for blood transfusion!! They gave me an iron infusion (IV) and said that it's unlikely that I can pass the fibroid on its own since it's 10cm, and if they situation doesn't fix itself I will need a hysterectomy which I've been trying to avoid but at this point my biggest fear is literally running out of blood. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know what the blood clots mean? I worry that I'm bleeding a lot more than it looks but it's just clotting underneath the fibroid then coming out. Any help or advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Niki, don't have much to say, but just to let you know that if you need more information or help with this matter? l think you should join the group on Facebook as well called. Uterine fibroids removal support group. Because I got my help from all the lovely ladies there who are also trying to figure out what's going on with them as well. take care of yourself

• Posted

I am planning my second UFE now so this sounds kind of scary to me!

I’ve had heavy bleeding for about three years now been anemic and have been in the hospital with them trying to give me a blood transfusion because of similar situation as yours. They did wind up giving me IV iron and I take iron daily now as I’m waiting to have the second UFE.

I think the blood clots in my situation which were the size of a fist sometimes were just blood clots and I am wondering why they are recommending a hysterectomy instead of maybe a D&C? May because the tumor still connected to the uterus. My new doctor just told me that when I start to get rid of the fibroid I might need to go in for a D&C.

I’m scared of joining Facebook so not ready to go there but I hope that you are able to find answers and I hope I’ve helped even a little bit.

KimJon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.