Intense rebound Gabapentin withdrawal??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I posted early about the dangers of Gabapentin. What I didn't know is how it would affect me one month after discontinuing it. I apologize if I am wrong; I don't mean to scare anyone. Quick backstory....I overdosed on Gabapentin on Sept 21, 2017 after one month of being on it. I am a recovering addict who suffers from a lot of pelvic pain due to stage lV Endometriosis, and when my new doctor prescribed the "non-narcotic, non-addictive" Gabapentin. The Gabapentin immediately conquered my pelvic pain, which was amazing, and also gave me a feeling of increased well being/ euphoria. In between doses, I felt very irritable and agitated, and soon I began taking more than prescribed. With in two weeks I was abusing it more and more, which led to an overdose on 9/21. It's my fault that I abused the med, but this med SHOULD be a narcotic, and should NEVER be taken by an addict. It snuck up on me and ruined my sobriety. Once I realized it's positive effects, I simply couldn't stop, and also, my doctor told me it was a "great drug" and "harmless", when taken as prescribed. Again: If you are an addict, do NOT take this drug. Even if you are not an addict, I would recommend never trying it.

To cut to the chase: I have been very sick for 14 days straight, and this started one month after my overdose. I've heard of Post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), and also I bounced back very quickly after the overdose, but one moth later, I woke up with severe muscle aches, fatigue and sweating. This has lasted 14 days straight and feels like it has gotten worse. Profuse sweating, exhaustion and aches all over. I have been to urgent care twice, the ER three times, and it was found that my labs were "perfect", though I had elevated levels in my blood that led one NP to believe that I have Rabda, a muscle disease. I guess I am confused. Are my symptoms rebound withdrawal from the Gabapentin OD, or do I need to look further? I am hoping it's just withdrawal. Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Talia

Sorry you are struggling. Yes, gabapentin withdrawal can last for months, although usually the withdrawal symptoms start immediately after cutting back. I have read that the withdrawal symptoms can last for 3-6 months or even up to a year depending on how long you have been on it. As well, the lower you go when withdrawing, the more severe the withdrawal effects can be. I have been in withdrawal since December. I should have gone down much slower. Were you taken off it cold turkey or slowly withdrawn from it? Most doctors don’t realize how awful the withdrawal can be. I have reinstated again up to 300 mg for 3 months and still I am suffering withdrawal effects. This drug should be prescribed with a warning. I know doctors who prescribe it are only trying to help but I feel it does more harm than good. It didn’t help my headaches so I was told to go off it but no one really knows how to do it properly.  I have read that 100 mg every 4 weeks is a good start, especially when you get to the lower doses. I have a doctors appt tomorrow and will ask if I should go higher, not because it helps my pain, only because the withdrawal is so awful. That alone tells me that this drug is horrible and shouldn’t be prescribed off label. 

I don’t know what to tell you that can help. Obviously you can’t go back on it based on your medical history. All I can say it that you are not alone in dealing with your issues. I would go back to your doctor and see what he recommends.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, 

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry you are also going through this. I hope your appointment goes well and brings some answers. 

I was on gabapentin for one month, but at high doses. I stopped cold turkey on 9/22. my symptoms didn't start until recently. Doctors are suspecting Rhabda, and I'm being folkier up to check my blood levels. I put my body through a lot and I'm grateful for the rest. I guess I just have to ride it out. You are right, I can't go back to gabapentin.  I hope things resolve for you and remember: the thoughts we think dictate our bodies' response. I say that because I have a bad habit of googling my symptoms online and that creates panic and stress. I follow up with my doctor on Thurs so I'm hoping for answers. Thanks again Lynn! Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.