Intense Sinking Feeling

Posted , 9 users are following.

Desperate for some advice or reassurance - I have been dealing with anxiety for about 4 months now and the last few weeks I have much improved. The only thing I seem to be struggling with still is this sinking feeling I get. I can be feeling totally fine and happy and then I will get this very short very intense wave of a sinking feeling, like feeling very upset for about 1 second. It’s comparible to experiencing a tragedy like a relative dying and finally getting some relief from it by forgetting about it for a split moment and then remembering it. Like a stomach flip. It is very unsettling and I get this several times a day. Does anyone else experience this? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jess. I have this too most days. I can be happy and smiling and then like you I feel this wave of sadness I would call it. Are you on meds at the moment? 

I am on my 6th week of citalopram xx

• Posted

Yes exactly it’s like a split second of dread and feeling like I’m going to burst into tears! It has become less intense but still bothersome. I was on citalapram for two weeks but didn’t get on with it well and came off. No other prescribed medication just lots of supplements. Have you seen any improvement with this feeling while on medication? 
    • Posted

What supplements do you take Jess? And have they been helping you? Xx
    • Posted

And yes there has been a bit of an improvement xx
    • Posted

I take a supplement called mind care that is two tablets with fish oil and theanine along with other ingredients. I also take magnesium and probiotics. I should Be taking 5htp too but I haven’t been recently. Do you take any?
    • Posted

I take cod liver oil and I do have multivitamins with iron but I haven't been taking those regularly. I wanted to take magnesium as I heard it's good for anxiety but I didn't know how much is safe to take and the right one to take or if it was safe to take with citalopram? 

What probiotics do you take? Xx

• Posted

I actually have a magnesium drink. I would suggest talking to your doc to check but I think any supplements can be taken with citalapram? I’m not sure what probiotics they are sorry, I got them from my local health food shop 
  • Posted

Hi Jess, Sometimes I get an intense feeling of dread like something horrible is about to happen. Sometimes it's just for a few minutes and sometimes, it lasts all day. It is terrible.

• Posted

Mine only lasts for a split second but takes me by surprise. If you are experiencing this horrible feeling all day I really feel for you, are you taking any medication?
  • Posted

Jess

These sorts of sensations can be part of Anxiety or Depression, one feeling, dread is very unpleasent.

Do you know why this is happening, are you still at school ??

If it persists talk to your GP, it may be you are slightly aenemic

BOB

• Posted

I have no idea why it happens, my anxiety came out of no where other than what I can presume is mild health anxiety all my life which has recently come to a head. No I’m 24 and very happy and settled in life, I wouldn’t class myself as depressed because aside from these intense moments of dread I have, I am always in a good mood. Thank you for your advice. I have had several blood tests which have come up fine 
  • Posted

Jess 

These feelings I used to have when I was in teens to end twenties, they soon left me then and all I can suggest is that you show appreciation for the time you have with those who you love.

My family life was a little disjointed and I had to grow up very quickly as I got older. families can be very fickle as can relationships so we need to get the most out of them over any time allocated

BOB

• Posted

Yes, I get this, especially when I'm just falling to sleep, it happens then I'm wide awake again, it's extremely frustrating.

• Posted

Yes i do I have had this before but the last week it been never-ending.
    • Posted

Hi Bryan when I posted this, it was happening every few seconds, day in day out, I couldn’t work because I kept bursting into tears, I couldn’t even leave the house. After a few calms days it got better and better and eventually almost disappeared. I still get it but much less often and I have realised I just need to wait it out. Probably not what you want to hear but it will pass with time 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.