Intercostal muscle problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

has anyone had a problem with the intercostal muscle s . I was suffering breathing difficulties. Unable to get a deep  breath in for months   And still having problems. Also.  Doctors Thought I had  acid reflux so have been on omeprazole . Finally referred to respiratory. And had breathing tests to be told there is a problem with the intercostal muscles s . I don't no what is causing it  yet as don't recall any trauma  to that area   I'm going back to see a consultant with the results soon , but the acid  and  Pressure feeling in between ribs Is now I think inflammation  not actually acid reflux 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Which intercostal muscles all of them or one side in particular or area. Is it on your left side by your stomach makes you feel like you have a bloating feeling. Does it actually hurt or just feel like there's a bulge. And if you lay down does it go away.
    • Posted

I'm not sure  can't feel anything myself on any side. . I have tenderness in the soft area sort of solar plexus   and inflammation   I had breathing tests  and was just told that one test in particular was showing the intercostal muscles were not  moving as they should  which he said would account for why I was having a problem with getting a deep breath   . I can breath   Much better lying down   For some reason 
    • Posted

When you say solarplex do you mean just under your sternum. To me this is not intercostal muscles in her costume muscles are between your ribs and travel from each side to your sternum. Are you sure you don't just have bloating and feel like you can't breathe, upon inspiration or expiration kind of like sore muscles. Have they not done any imaging yet could be a hernia. Maybe a diaphragm or hiatal hernia. You haven't been sick in the upper respiratory or pneumonia lately with a lot of coughing, any of that can make your intercostal muscles sore.
    • Posted

Not  bloated and this started one night in March and it's been every day  since  this year for no reason  I suddenly  couldn't get a deep breath. It was really scary and I went to  a&e  but they just said. It's prob a virus.   No problem with my lungs  My oxygen levels  were fine.  Then I started getting a burning  s o then doctor thought acid is reflux and gave me omeprazole . That's never really made much difference  now I think it's inflammation . That's why . As for the intercostal I'm confused as the  clinical measurements.  Dept did says tests showing that the intercostal so we're. Working as they should.  Which is why I can't get deep breaths.  But I feel  like it hurts  sometimes  in the soft part in between the ribs  basically very top of stomach and this is were it also. Burns  I had endoscopy  which showed nothing. .  In did think  it was a hernia as symptoms seemed to match but I have not  got a hernia. Not even acid they said. .  I don't no what else can be causing those muscles to not be working properly and for so long .  But I'm seeing the respiratory consultant. That sent me for.  The  breathing tests some time in November  I'm hoping she can throw some light on it 

• Posted

Ok them, im at a loss, its just on your left side above your stomach? If so what abt pulled chest muscle or breast tissue, no swollem lymphnodes. Let me know what the outcome is.
    • Posted

I should be getting a letter with results of respiratory  test s that said it was intercostal problem and a sniff test that tests diaphragm movement.  Apparently the consultants. Are behind with follow up appt dates so.  Although I was told I'd be seen in November it mite be longer  . Thanks il let you no😊
    • Posted

omg uounjust described what im going through!! i have the symptoms /issues you just said .!! do you know what it is ??

so stressed about it

• Posted

Is it on your left side by your stomach makes you feel like you have a bloating feeling. Does it actually hurt or just feel like there's a bulge. And if you lay down does it go away""

this is me all the way .. wen i lay down and touch the area it feels kinda sore . im a slim male .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.