Intercostal muscles/rib pain.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone ever pulled their intercostal muscles between ribs due to having hypermobility syndrome/EDS hypermobility type? I've been in so much pain for 8 days, but all tests have thankfully come bk ok (chest X-ray, ECG, bloods), so feel like I'm going mad and/or being a baby about the pain. I literally did nothing to trigger it but sit and watch TV, but the doctor doesn't know if it's linked to my hypermobility syndrome or not? Has anyone else had a similar experience or been in a similar situation? Xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No. Sorry. Not had this happen. Had plenty but not this. I can say tho, you're not a baby regarding the pain. Pain is such a drag. Good luck. Chin up. I hope you figure out what it is.

• Posted

Hi my daughter is 18 and has hypermobility. She gets pain in her rib area quite often, sometimes when she is just sitting down. Quite often when she is sitting down, she just has to move and adjust her position very carefully then it will ease off. But not always.

Have you got a good physiotherapist who may help?

Someone has recommended Fisiocream to us , & we are using it on her wrists it seems to help with the pain a little. It is a natural remedy for inflammation. Perhaps you could try that?

Good luck .

• Posted

I have hypermobility and one of my original symptoms was chest pain...not sharp pain but feels uncomfortable and I can't sit or get into a comfy position! 

I think it a related issue.

• Posted

I have hypermobility and I often get fairly bad rib pain, my mums friend is a Chiropractor and she said that I had most likely pulled an intercostal muscle.

This was a few months ago but it has now just become an occasional dull ache. Where the pain was, my ribs were spacing out too, did this happen to you?

• Posted

I normally have issues at the back and yes EDS does cause issues with the Pentecostal muscle because i currently have it and very uncomfortable. I had some dodgy milk and threw up which kicked it off 24 hours later. Ive also noticed a fluid build up and seeing the doctor at the earliest. Rest up fully I wont be sending anymore messages here as I recieved a scam popup message on this site and not happy about it. Take care

• Posted

On a side note I have regular spasms anyway which loosen everything because of EDS and I recommended a support and do regular breathing exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.