intercostal nueralgia ... anyone had this ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys 

after 18 months of my gp convinced i had a thorasic herniated disc my neurosurgeon is convinced i dont allthough he is doing a specialized mri scan at the walton neuro center which may still find a herniation 

however after discussing this with my gp she says i may just have intercostal neuralgia .... and since the symptoms of a herniated thorasic disc are similar to intercostal nueralgia i can forgive the gp for this 

the main symptoms are a band like feeling across the mid line and can be painful at times 

im just looking for some more information on this ... anyone help 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My gp at 1st was blaming it on the neuropathy but I ended going up to the ER on Saturday where they did an xray and are blaming it on sciatica.. I asked my doctor for a muscle relaxant but he would not give me one because he said it is not muscle pain, it is nerve pain. However after doing some research today, I have found out that doctors do in fact prescribe muscle relaxants for this problem. I can't get them to do an mri on me though because they said it would cost to much money!

?But back to your question, I do have this pain all the time and they won't do anything about it!

• Posted

Hi kenny 

your gp is actually right .... muscle relaxants dont work on nerve pain,allthough valium is used if the nerve goes into spasm but only short term ( around 2 weeks ) 

theres two main treatments for nueralgia ( all types ) and these are 

1) gabapentin .... these are very common and your gp should prescribe these before anything else,however many patients stop taking them as their full potential is only reached at around 3 to 4 months .....

2)pregablin ..... similar to gabapentin but are prefered when anxiety is also a problem .. in my opinion these are not as good on nerve pain but are better at relaxing you but thats just me 

that said muscle relaxants work by dampening the cns(central nervous system ) and can in turn relax the nerves along with the muscles .... to be honest gp,s dont prescribe them not because they dont work but due to the addictive nature .....

if it is intercostal neuralgia then a cortostreroid injection into the affected nerve is probally the best way forward,however a MRI scan should be ordered to rule out a thorasic herniated disc which presents very similar symptoms 

i wish you well kenny and ask your gp for gabapentin ..... 

good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.