Interested in buying a tens machine could use some adivice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been reading about ptns not sure what that means and the tens machine that I can get on amazon wondering if that with help with badder pressure and if so what machine should i buy I saw a good one for 50 or so dollars. that has pads do i need to keep buying new pads and how would I use the machine?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam, i use a tens machine. I bought the kind with two pads. I find that it helps with bladder pain that I have with ic.
    • Posted

Hi pam, sorry was shopping, each person is different. I put mine where my bladder would be. Others put one in front and one on your lower back. But you really have to experiment with it to see what works for you. Make sure you read the instructions for the tens about the time limit.
  • Posted

Hi Pam, the pads are reusable and will last a long time. 
    • Posted

where on my bladder should I put the pads Shirley on my bladder what part?  Also whats a good setting to start off with?
    • Posted

I’m sorry Pam I don’t know exactly where you put them for bladder pain.  Hopefully someone who uses one will be able to advise.  Let me know if it works! 
  • Posted

Hi Pam, let me know where to put the pads when you find out please - it’s not always in the most obvious place - I’m guessing the base of the spine but I really don’t know.  As for settings always start on the lowest setting and go up.  You’ll soon know if it’s too much / it’s fully adjustable.  I had it for shoulder pain once but if it works better on the bladder then I’ll dig mine out again! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your help guys.  I went to the mayo clinic site and they have some stuff on the tens machine there.  What I got from them is the tens machine may increase blood flow to the bladder and strengthen mustle or trigger the release of substance that block pain.  I can be placed on lower back or just above the pubic area.  The length of time and frequency of the therapy depends on what works for you.   My machine has four pads so I will try to on my back and the other two above my pubic area and start on low.   Hope it helps.
    • Posted

Hi Pam, I'll tell you what, it has been a life saver for me. Good luck, lets us know how your doing. But if you have a pacemaker do not use it.

• Posted

Hi Pam, thanks for that info - I think in view of Brenda’s comments, that I’ll try it again for my bladder. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we all get a good result?! Worth a try as it can’t do any harm and when you have IC you’ll try as many things as you can!  Keep us informed! 
    • Posted

Thank you guys got me looking around more, if you want go to the mayo clinic web site and type in CI the long version and tens machine if will so a picture where to place the pads.  lol just got the machine in and cant read the instructions way to tiny.  My husband is home hope he can see the printing.  No pace maker but thanks for that its good to know.
    • Posted

Thanks for that Pam, I’ll look it up on that site.  It’s very annoying when the instructions aren’t clear or are in such small print or worse - only in Chinese! Hope you figure it out.
    • Posted

Hi again, my husband had to rewrite the boolklet so I could make it out, anyways got it working it says to use 19 minutes twice a day does that seem right to you?
  • Posted

Hi Pam, well mine says 30 mins once a day! However it does say that you may need to use for longer at first.  To be honest you can use it longer than that - it’s only because the skin where you stick the nodes can sometimes get sore if you have it on too long but I’ve never found that happened to me.  I used to have it on for a couple of hours sometimes- mine automatically switches off after 30 mins but you can do another session on top if you like.  Trial and hopefully not too much error really! See how you go - I bought a new one today as I found my old one was 15 years old and I think they’ve probably improved since then! 
    • Posted

Hi yes I kinda agree 19 min 2 times a day is a little short so I am going to up it to 3 times a day.  I finely got the tens machine to work it has different pulses etc.. and is very relaxing but it does shut of after the 19 minutes.   The pads are sticky at first but I don't think will last that long.  15.00 or so for a bunch more I am of to get some.  Let me know how you do with your new machine, I still have a lot of buttons to figure out.

• Posted

Hi Pam.  The sticky pads should last a long time.  If they get less sticky just rub a drop of water over them and leave them for a few minutes to rejuvenate.  Only when that doesn’t work anymore do you need to buy new ones.  Don’t have the setting too high at first or it’ll just get irritating.  I’m using mine on 4 at the moment. 
    • Posted

Hi Brenda how long do you use it at a time?  Does it help lots with the flare ups?
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the tip, I was thinking this is going to get really costly if I have to keep on buying pads for this thing.  I did go to amazon and buy 15 just in case, soi the lot should last me for awhile.   All I need next is aaa batteries. I found four a bit high for my front so 3 or 2 was better for me the back I could put to a six.  So nice chatting with you guys. 
    • Posted

Pam it usually depends on how bad the flare is, but I usually just leave the pads on through the day and turn it on when I need too. My tens runs for 15 minutes. Yes it does seem to help alot. The first sign for me tha it is working iswhen I go to the bathroom

And I really empty. After that the pain eases. I've been using mine for about a year now. Nothing else seems to help me. But I did read that there is a new drug coming out either late 2018 or early 2019. The drug is aqx-1125 or rospitor. It has been successful for pain and other symptoms that you might get with ic. I hope this helps answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask anything about the tens. Remember to use it carefully until you know how you are going to respond to it.

• Posted

Hi Brenda

I’m glad the tens is working well for you.  Can I ask - do you use 4 pads or 2? Do you place them lower back only or front as well? I don’t think I could do my front as I have a scar there which irritates.  Does it help with the constant feeling of needing to wee? I get bladder pain too but my most bothersome symptom is the feeling of constantly needing the loo, even after I’ve just been - and I know from ultrasound that I am empting properly.  Thanks. 

• Posted

I have the two pad tens, i put both in front. Some people put one in front and one in back. Since I started using this device i have been emptying, so there for i don't get the urgency as much as I use too. So give it a try and see what happens, it does feel weird at first but start on low setting and increase to your tolerance level. Don't over do it,

• Posted

I looked up the drug Brenda, how did you find out it would work for IC? Is it just a pain med or does it do more I looked it up and found it not much for info on it.  I live in Canada if its good and helps I hope I can get it here now.  Thanks for the info.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Brenda. I’ll see how it goes.  I don’t have urgency but do have mild stress incontinence - mine is more typical IC pain I think.  Still, anything’s worth a try! Thanks again. 
    • Posted

Hi pam, I,ve been researching the drug, what ever i could find using either aqx-1125 or rospitor. The trails have been a success but here in the u.s. they go through 4 trails, i believe thats the correct number. Any ways its beneficial for copd and arthritis along with ic. What i understand its not a pain med but a antiflamitory. I'm not a scientist or anything but it sounds promising. Its about time that they come up with something other than Elmiron.

• Posted

I agree Elmiron and DMCO is not much to go on in installs are very uncomfortable and Elmiron since I have only been on it for two months has not proved to be much of a help but since that's all I have I have to stick it out.  Please keep me informed of the new drugs also since I live in Canada I have to see if they have a name change or we have to wait longer..

• Posted

Brenda where do you place the tens pads on your front?, I am a little nervous putting them to close or on my bladder I don't know if I do if I will make the spasms and bladder pressure worse.

• Posted

Pam i put them on my pelvic area, i can understand your fear. For me it works but for you it might cause spasms. Like i said its a trial and error kind of thing. Before u try it , can you talk to your doctor or physical therapist. I had no choice but to do it, my pain was leading my life and my urologist just wanted me to either get on Elmiron (which would cost me 350 u.s. dollars a month) or do instills which for me is painful because i have a very narrow urethra. So I hope i helped even alittle bit. 😎

• Posted

Your right about the intills I dread them since my urethra is small, they have to use a baby catheter and even that hurts.  I am glad I have insurance but with the economy the way it is my husband is lucky to have a job.   I was given ketorolac 15 pills at the hospital for pain and inflamation I wounder if its like that drug you mentioned.   I don't like to take it because it causes dizziness and drowsiness.  The tens machine I found has come in handy for my back my arms and any other spot besides my bladder that needs a message.  Thanks for your info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.