Interested in PT exercises and advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had the cartiva implant on June 28th.  I walked in the post surgical shoe the first week (the 4th of July holiday) but tried to keep it to a minimum.  Also elevated and iced as much as I could.  Even slept with it elevated.  July 13th the surgical nurse change the bandage and my foot looked really good. The second week was same as the first.  July the 13th the surgical nurse removed my stitches and they xrayed my foot.  The surgeon says everything looks good but the only physical therapy he recommended was walking.  I had physical therapy on my foot and toe earlier this year so I may have used up all that my insurance would cover but don't know for sure.  So, I am walking in sketchers sandles because I can't wear anything else.  I do try to stretch my toe up and down and can do it manually to some degree but can't seem to move it much on my own.  Will this improve with time? I still have pain but not enough to warrant pain meds and I don't see my surgeon again until August 10th.  I am interested in hearing anyones experience with this that is further along post op.  Also I am interested in hearing what exercises they had in PT.  If it is the same as I had on my toe before the surgery, I can probably do some of that at home. Thanks in advance.  Patti

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had Cartiva implants in both feet on June 19th. Like you I am still getting some pain and take paracetamol when I need to.  Surgeon says NSAIDs are of no benefit.  Feet are still swollen and I am limited to flip flops and open sandals.  I am very active and probably trying to do too much too soon.  Surgeon says swelling will go down in time but it will be a long time.  Following xrays and a consultation with the surgeon last week he says he is happy for me to do any activities that are comfortable and wear any shoes that fit.  I am particularly concerned about the shoe situation as I am a ballroom and latin dancer and we always wear high heels.
    • Posted

I woukd like to follow this too. It is my understanding that no heels for 5 months or sports like basketball etc, where there are lots of starts and stops. I would think that means November for you, December for me. It is going to get cold her in about two months and I wont be able to wear flip flops and sandels anymore. 
    • Posted

Day 32 and I am still limited to certain shoes.  Went shoe shopping today and bought another pair of Sketchers sandals and a pair of Easy Spirit mules.  I can't wear anything that is snug in the toe area and the shoes must have a great deal of cushion under the toe joint. I live in Florida and it is warm here all year so I don't have to worry about needing heavier shoes or boot.  Thursday I walked more than usual while shopping with my step-daughter.  I had to walk very slow and my slip on sandal kept working its way off my surgery foot.  Friday and Saturday my ankle and toe both were more swollen than they have been since the surgery, so I went back to elevating my foot while sleeping.  Even though I believe the surgery was the best thing for my situation and my pain is better than prior  to surgery....still frustrated and depressed at times. 

• Posted

I am discussing Cartiva implants wth Dr. Kelikian in Chicago. How is your recovery going? I hope you will be able to dance.
    • Posted

Patti please do urself a favor and get some compression ankle socks or knee highs or peds. I have no swelling whatsoever. I wear them everyday and I can even wear flip flops if I want. And my pain has disappeared.  I could wear low heel too.  The socks were my life saver. 
  • Posted

I have lots of pain from hallux rigidis, and planning cartiva surgery in 2 months, How has your surgery worked out for you? My doctor is Kelikian in Chicago.
    • Posted

I used Kelikian in Skokie. Great choice for ur doctor. I am 13 weeks out and no issues whatsoever. I can dance. Jog. What ever I like at this point. Easy recovery and no issues!
    • Posted

I am glad you had such a good outcome.  I will schedule Dr. Kelikian for the surgery. Thanks for replying.
    • Posted

You might want to join the Facebook group. There are four of us who used him on there. 
  • Posted

I had Cartiva implants on May 19th.  Both feet still swollen and still very painful to wear high heels or put pressure through the joints which is irritating as I wear heels to dance.  Not sure I'd have it done again.  Seeing the surgeon for a check up later this week.  I'll see what he says.  I would like to know how long the pain is expected to go on for.

• Posted

Most of my pain has gone but I don't wear high heels. Actually my large toe is partially numb. I don't regret having the surgery but don't expect to be 100% again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.