Interesting appointment.....

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I went for a hysteroscopy today, this was to see if I was suitable for ablation.

Anyway after the procedure while talking to the doctor I told her I was on esmya, to this she was surprised saying because I had mirena coil in this was cancelling out the esmya. One was a progesterone the other an anti progesterone. When I further explained I still bleed and take noresthisterone to stop bleeding this raised further eyebrows as she was saying they're all cancelling each other out!

Can anyone tell me if they've had both?

I'm a bit miffed as I did specifically ask my gynaecologist if I was ok with coil in.

Also I seem to have had heavy bleeding and big clots since I came home is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi , regarding the hysteroscopy I was told that you could have clots and bleeding up to 2 weeks after that procedure, but I did have a small fibroid removed at the same time via the hysteroscopy.  Good luck,  S    
    • Posted

Thank you. So it's normal! Even though at present I have no perception of normal when it comes to my uterus!!!

• Posted

Yes the doctor is right, the coil will make Esmya ineffective and vice versa, so the coil will not be effective for both control purposes while you're taking Esmya. Can't understand why your gynae didn't realize this!

• Posted

This is the thing I've been taking the esmya for almost 3 months (only have last 7 days worth left) the gynae knew I had a mirena coil but yet not once did she tell me I needed another form of contraception. I come out in a cold sweat at the prospect that I could have potentially become pregnant if the effects of the coil were being cancelled out.

I'm also annoyed that I've been putting hormones into my body that have not been doing anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.