Interesting article about estriol & urinary issues.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Its 11 years old but still news worthy.

As one of us who has urinary problems with AV, now I see why I feel so much better the day after I take my "pea shaped" estriol cream dosage.

(I don't think you need to have a UTI for the estriol cream to help bladder health.)

Here is an excerpt from the article - link to same is below.

"Estriol Protects Urinary Health in Postmenopausal Women

Postmenopausal women who suffer from incontinence or recurrent urinary tract infections will be pleased to know that estriol offers benefit in the context of these troublesome conditions. In a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled study, 88 women were given 2 mg intravaginal estriol suppositories (once daily for two weeks, then twice weekly for six months) or placebo. Of the women in the estriol group, 68% reported improvement in symptoms of incontinence. In addition, measurements of mean maximal urethral pressure and mean urethral closure pressure were significantly improved.10

In another randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, women with recurrent urinary tract infections (UTI) were given either intravaginal estriol cream (containing 0.5 mg estriol, once daily for two weeks, then twice weekly for eight months) or placebo. The incidence of urinary tract infection was dramatically reduced in the estriol group compared with placebo (0.5 versus 5.9 episodes per year).11"

Estriol: Its Weakness is its Strength | Life Extension Magazine

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

ro, there was a poster a while back named Suki who always praised the benefits of estriol. She did a lot of research on it. I think you can look up her name and read what she has written. She convinced me so I asked my gyn if I could get a prescription & she was fine with it. Seems it's not commercially available in the US, but I was able to have it made up at a compounding pharmacy. Unfortunately I was in the middle of packing for my move, misplaced it and have never found it. As it cost $80 I'm hoping it will miraculously appear. My gyn mentioned it's very popular in Europe, but not used here.

"Estriol is the weakest form of estrogen in the body. It is usually abundant in women who are pregnant... .

Although estriol is relatively weak, it has still been reported to produce beneficial effects. When applied topically for vaginal dryness, estriol has been reported to be effective. One other advantage to estriol is that, because it is less potent, it may have fewer side effects and health risks".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.