Interesting news, global clinical trials of EMA401 starting up!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

For those not informed, there were research into a drug, codenamed EMA401 until 2015, which specifically targeted pain related to nerve-sprouting, which is the main cause of pain from PHN.

The study was halted in 2015 after big pharma bought the patents from the Australian research group.

You can read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMA401

Currently, in Noway, there is a study called "EMPHENE", which is a clinical trial with actual patient-groups on EMA401 (!!)

Personally, I thought this project was shuffled into a drawer at big pharma, but apparently, they seemed to have continued the studies surrounding this drug after all.

According to a local news-source here, the study is global and should involve around 360 patients.

The study is to gauge the safe/effective dosage for patients.

You can use the reference-number listed in the bottom of the article here:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03094195

And inform your doctor if you want to participate in these trials.

You can find some posts in this forum regarding EMA401. From the studies so far, it seems to be the only drug targeting the problem area regarding PHN and it seems to do it quite well. So far, there have been no reported ill side-effects either, so it is extremely interesting for anyone suffering from neurologic-pain.

I really hope they keep up the tempo on this drug, since there are so many sufferers out there.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been following this drug development, however from the information on the trials web site it appears all the trials are being done in Europe. In any event it does look encouraging and worth following, it says trials are to be completed by the end of November 2018.
    • Posted

Indeed you are correct, I can see from the list in the trial notes that this seems to be done in European countries at the moment.

Be advised, there are also trials in the pipeline for 2019, regarding other types of neurological pain with the same drug and they also need to test this drug on large groups of patients, to determine statistical numbers regarding side-effects, in that respect, we should keep an eye on it for further trials down the line.

The webpage for the pharmacy-company that bought the patent from Australia, the drug is now pipelined for 2021 (3 years).

Yes, we should also be balanced in regards to the actual effects and availability, at the same time, due note that there are no other drugs actually working in the problem areas (most other non topical drugs work on the brain pain-center, the interesting thing with this drug, is that is actually address the nerve sprouts)

• Posted

Finally some good news, I hope.. Let's see what happens. We thought gab and Lyrica we supposed to help too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.