Intermittent but severe pain during/after urination

Posted , 3 users are following.


Approximately 4 months ago I started getting a burning sensation when urinating, which didn't happen every time I urinated. Sometimes, there would also be a strange odour from the urine. (The pain and smell would not necessarily occur at the same time, seemed to be completely random). In addition I had the urge to urinate more frequently and sometimes it will feel like I need to pee straight after I've been to the toilet. The pain often continues after urination and the general area is often quite painful/uncomfortable constantly for a number of days at a time.

About a month after the symptoms began, sexual intercourse became increasingly painful and I have not been able to have sex with my boyfriend in over 2 months because of the pain.

The urinating symtons come and go (could be fine for a week, then flares up for a week, then fine for a few days before another flare up, etc) and range from pretty mild to severely painful. I had a urine test which showed no infection.

Does anyone have any experience ces with similar symptoms or know what this could be?

Additonal information:

Age 20

1 long term sexual partner (always use condoms)

Symptoms started around the same time as starting birth control (microgynon) - have decided to stop taking this now but symptoms persist

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    IC. Disease.. Ive had it since 21.. Now it.. Makes u feel just as descibed
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you for your reply.  

      I have heard of IC I was hoping that wouldn't be the case as it would appear that there is currently no cure. I'm sorry you've had to live with it for so long, can I ask how you've managed the symptoms?


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sorry to hear about your suffering and yes, it does sound familiar (all except the odor part). Have you ever discussed the possibility of having interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome with your doctor? It's a chronic bladder condition that presents with the symptoms you described without an infection being present. It can usually be managed with a combination of diet and medication. I urge you to see your gyno or even a urogynecologist to figure this out. Also, check out the Interstitial Cystitis Association's website for help in the meantime. I wish you luck and healing!

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up