Intermittent chest discomfort that seems to get better when taking deep breaths

Posted , 2 users are following.

As the title states, I randomly have chest discomfort on my left side, usually when I'm sitting down for a long time at work or at my desk at home. I'm a 37 year old male, so I'm not really in the typical age range for heart attacks, but my biological father did pass away a few years ago in his mid-50's from one, so it looms in my mind. I am also about 40 pounds overweight, so I know that contributes.

The websites I've read say the pain of a heart attack is usually in the center or left center of the chest, but mine is a bit further toward my left arm, typically just below my collar bone and sometimes simultaneously below the left (peck?). It can last a few seconds up to several minutes (pulses of pain over several minutes), depending on how quickly I notice it. It usually feels better when I sit up very straight and take deep breaths, or get up and walk around.

When I was in the military, I was diagnosed with "reduced lung function" after they did a pulmonary function test (or whatever you call it), and I tend to be a very shallow breather when I'm not actively thinking about it. I also have a very obstructed nasal cavity, which additionally reduces air flow when my mouth is closed (which is most of the time). I'm thinking it might just be that I'm not getting enough oxygen sometimes because of the combination of insufficient lung function and obstruction caused by being overweight. The location of the discomfort, combined with it getting better with deep breaths, leads me to think this may be a lung issue rather than the heart, though I'm certainly not discounting it with my bad eating habits, lack of exercise and family history.

I don't have health insurance and can't really afford it right now, and it'll be a bit before I have any money for a doctor visit out of pocket, so I'm hoping someone has experienced something similar, or maybe a doctor could take a random stab at what it might be based on these vague symptoms. I'm worried these might be heart symptoms, but I'm also thinking that it might be some type of asthma, as my mom had it and my son has it as well. I've never been diagnosed with it, though, despite many medical visits during my time in the military.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i cant really give you an answer to this beyond saying i have the exact same problem for about a year now. I'm a 30 year old female with no known heart or lung conditions although i am an ex smoker. so far doctors have told me firstly constipation (it wasnt) and currently saying acid reflux but i'm beginning to doubt that too with it being so far left.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.