Intermittent Jaundice with gallstones

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Every now and then I start to feel bloated with heartburn and slightly sick, but then I get jaundice with light stools, dark urine. However it strangely disappears after a few days and everything is back to normal.

I thought if there was a blockage in the bile duct the jaundice would take longer to go away, not after about three days.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

how did you figure out you got jaundice ? did you do blook work ?
    • Posted

When I went to hospital after severe heartburn and back ache my LFT's were elevated including my bilirubin. In addition, my skin had started to go yellow including pale stool colour and dark urine. Weirdly though it went away after 2-3 days and even though some of my LFTs were still raised my bilirubin went back to normal after another blood test.

Strange how it disappeared so quickly. However, in the last week I had more heartburn and it started again, but as before then went away. I'm due another blood test on Tuesday so the results should be interesting.

My doc thinks it's regular gallstone attacks due to the fact that my jaundice seems to go away as quickly as it appears

• Posted

If you get jaundice you should see your doctor

or go to hospital because it can become serious .

• Posted

Let's be clear about this. You have gallstones and jaundice is that right?

Are you on a list to have your gallbladder removed?

If not you need to get yourself on this operation list.

They consider you as urgent if you have jaundice.

Don't want to alarm you but you need to get this sorted now.

Get yourself to a GP and get the ball rolling.

Take care and keep in t ouch

Sarah

• Posted

They think I have gallstones but they couldn't spot any on the ultrasound recently. However, three and half years ago when I had to have major surgery they spotted them. I'm trying to get a MRCP scan sorted to find out if they are still there. What I don't understand is why the jaundice has been coming and going.  If a stone has been blocking the bile duct then it surely would remain lodged in there.

• Posted

I agree that it is odd that the jaundice comes and goes.

If they diagnosed the gallstones 3 and a half years ago why on earth have they waited till now to do anything about them? The reality is you need to have your gallbladder removed.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I think that because they found one at 6mm they left it alone as it wasn't causing any issues. I'd already had major bowel surgery so they probably thought it wasn't worth the effort to remove the gallbladder as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.