Intermittent pain in lower right abdomen - endometriosis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. My daughter has had pain in her lower right abdomen for over 2 months. It is not continuous but comes in waves every few minutes and lasts for about 30 secs. The pain is there every day, doesnt vary over her monthly cycle and she doesnt feel nausious and her stools are normal. She has been seen by various drs and we had a visit to the A&E when it got particularly bad. Urine and blood tests are normal. Ultrasound scan of ovaries and womb normal and X-ray of hips normal. The pain is worse when she urinates, presses on the area, runs and puts weight on the leg on that side. None of the drs who have examined her know what it could be apart from a gynaechology consultant who, without examining her, seems certain that it is endometriosis and has prescribed the progesterone only pill and tranexamic acid.

My questions are:

Has anyone else with endometriosis experienced this type of intermittent pain that is unaffected by the time of the month?

Can endometriosis not show up on an ultrasound?

Has anyone had treatment using the contraceptive pill and / or tranexamic acid and did it help with the pain?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am very sorry about your daughter. She is lucky to have you in her corner.

Endo presents in many different ways. Also, pain can be "referrred" to odd locations. i don't now recall the details (it was the '70s-'82]) but i remember docs sometimes saying certain pains of mine were referred from elsewhere. Pain on the right side could be from there or it could be something on her spine, or it could be from her left ovary.

There is only one way to be certain about an endo DX: laparoscopy.

I can't speak to the meds.

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. Typically the only "endo" drs can see on an ultrasound is an endometrioma, basically a mass presented as an ovarian cyst until a laparoscopy makes a final diagnosis. So maybe it's a good thing the ultrasound is clear? Unfortunately many gynes dont think endo unless it runs in the family they want to rule out everything else which is good but makes the diagnosis difficult to obtain. As for the pain, I have stage 4 and grow the masses so my pain is constant, literally never goes away and I've been through 13 different pain medications to help. I'm in a clinical trial for endo pain right now. the only other drug for endo pain on the market is called orlissa. I dont know how well it works. I've also been told by one of the 5 gynes I've seen for endo that contraceptive pills may help with the pain because the hormones are controlled better? endo can attach itself to anything in the body typically around the reproductive organs. for me getting a diagnosis was easy I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary that needed removed so they sent it off to path and I got my diagnosis. for others with stage 1 it's harder to diagnose and treat. the heating pad is what I cant live without. I've also begun sleeping with a pillow between my legs to help with the leg pain I get on the side I had my mass. as for the pain urinating I just go more often as having a full bladder makes the pain worse. If everything keeps coming back clear the only other thing to check will be an exploratory laparoscopy where the drs just go in and look around for anything out of the ordinary. this journey is going to be long and painful and I'm very sorry this is happening to your daughter. good luck. I hope this helps.

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter. Typically the only "endo" drs can see on an ultrasound is an endometrioma, basically a mass presented as an ovarian cyst until a laparoscopy makes a final diagnosis. So maybe it's a good thing the ultrasound is clear? Unfortunately many gynes dont think endo unless it runs in the family they want to rule out everything else which is good but makes the diagnosis difficult to obtain. As for the pain, I have stage 4 and grow the masses so my pain is constant, literally never goes away and I've been through 13 different pain medications to help. I'm in a clinical trial for endo pain right now. the only other drug for endo pain on the market is called orlissa. I dont know how well it works. I've also been told by one of the 5 gynes I've seen for endo that contraceptive pills may help with the pain because the hormones are controlled better? endo can attach itself to anything in the body typically around the reproductive organs. for me getting a diagnosis was easy I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary that needed removed so they sent it off to path and I got my diagnosis. for others with stage 1 it's harder to diagnose and treat. the heating pad is what I cant live without. I've also begun sleeping with a pillow between my legs to help with the leg pain I get on the side I had my mass. as for the pain urinating I just go more often as having a full bladder makes the pain worse. If everything keeps coming back clear the only other thing to check will be an exploratory laparoscopy where the drs just go in and look around for anything out of the ordinary. this journey is going to be long and painful and I'm very sorry this is happening to your daughter. good luck. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.