intermittent self dilation, personal experience advice anyone?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, after quite an ordeal and several months of messing around, i have been put on a self dilation regime after my recent second urethrotomy, i was just wondering what sucess people have had and how they found it, i have done two dilations so far, first one was painful but i went into the bladder to be sure I'd gone through the bulbar stricture, and that was with a lofric origo, but the second dilation with a lofric dila-cath which i didnt go into the bladder was fine after taking a painkiller beforehand, i went until I felt it pushing the sphincter as my stricture is 15mm before the sphincter so as long as I feel it at the sphincter i know I've gone through it.

I'm on 18f / 6mm ones.

Iv heard about some people finding it very successful and some finding it useless. As long as it delays the need for more surgery it's a good thing I suppose and I'm willing to do it, i know it's all down to compliance too. I'm on twice a week for first 4 weeks then once a week from there on.

part of me doubts that's frequent enough as I had a 4mm catheter which had been forced through it when i had an emergency visit when it fully sealed up 3.5 months after my first urethrotomy, and it was taking too long ( had waited nearly 3 hours in agonising pain with close to 2 litres inside by the time it was drained ) to get a theatre sorted for a suprapubic catheter, i had that catheter removed when i was changed to a suprapubic one anyway a 4 weeks later, and the 4mm hole had resealed within 10 days, that's a 2mm contraction from each angle, so if I dilate to 6mm, it could contract enough in 7 days to make it nearly 4mm and stop the catheter dilating. I have some 16f and 14f caths as back up incase it gets to that but hopefully it won't.

So if anyone who is on ISD could give me some advice and personal experience opinions and info it would be helpful, thanks.

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ollie64: I started cathing a little over a year ago with the objective of reducing urinery retention caused by a diagnosis of enlarged prostate. However, as I got into this I realized that my urine flow was increasing proportionately with each cathing session. My urologist team immediately changed their diagnosis to 'likely stricture' and my experience thus far has proven them correct.

My self-cathing venture brought to light another fact that I had hitherto been completely unaware of. My urethra appeared to be some 2" longer than the 'standard' catheter length of 15 7/8" overall.

This would have been of no consequence except that, together with the location of the stricture  proximal to the inner sphincter, it may provide an explanation of troubles I experienced a number of years earlier during insertion of a Foley catheter. Could the urology staff have been misled by a flash of urine from the prostate into believing they were properly in the bladder and inflated the retention balloon prematurely?

In short, I may have been fracked, to use a more modern term!

We shall never know for certain since the relevant records have not survived so my assumptions must remain pure conjecture. However, there are other contributors to this thread reporting strictures in virtually the same location. Do you people have any idea what may have started your repective strictures?

• Edited

Does anyone perform the self catheterization procedure in a seated position? I've been doing it while standing and sometimes my nerves and patience get a little frazzled. Just wondering if seated position was possible and maybe I would find that more comfortable and less stressful.
    • Edited

Hi, Vansos. The answer is: Yes, absolutely. My understanding is that the vast majority of wheelchair-bound patients who rely soley on catheterization to emppty their bladders, do so while sitting down. I believe I am right in saying that the technnique is to is to slide forwards as far as possible in the seat before inserting the catheter.

I myself prefer to do this standing up.

Try talking to "180Medical" (1-877-688-2729). They may be willing/able to help you out. Some of their Tach Support people are themselves catheter users 24/7.

Hope this helps. Alan

• Posted

I am also having stricture urethra, i am using homeopathy medicines its working fine i never went for any surgery but suggested me to go for it. Luckily i consulted one homeopathy doctor in my city. Started taking treatment in that till now it working fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.