Internal and external hemorrhoid repair postop day 6

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have dealt with hemorrhoids for 7 years. Every once in awhile it would flare up, I would get it lanced and it would go away. Off and on for 7 years. Finally it came to a point where I was done dealing with it and wanted it fixed permanently. I went to a surgeon and found out I had grade 3 internal hemorrhoids as well as external hemorrhoids. I was told about the pain after surgery but thought that since I had dealt with this for 7 years I would be able to tolerate the pain so I proceeded with surgery. I was encouraged to take a stool softener a few days prior to surgery and I did an enema cleanse the day of surgery so I felt like I was very prepared. Surgery went as expected and I was very comfortable when I went home and didn't need to start my pain pills until the next day. The next day is when the pain would start and become horrendous. I thought I was prepared for this pain but there was nothing that could prepare you for this. I laid around for 4 days straight hardly getting off of the couch, drinking plenty of fluids, taking a stool softener, drinking Miralax, eating a balanced diet, urinating without any problems, takinf pain pills every 4 hours around the clock and still uncomfortable. I still had not had a bowel movement on post op day 4. I went to the doctor on post op day 4 for some extensive burning that I felt on one of my external repairs. The surgeon said it looked like I was rejecting one of the stitches and it was an open area that I just needed to try to keep dry and clean. That's impossible! Another thing that they don't prepare you for is the constant leakage/drainage from the surgical site. I was told to take minimal sitz baths due to the fact that he did not want the water to break down my stitches faster than expected. A sitz bath was the only thing that felt good at this point so I did it. Day 4 after I saw the surgeon I went home and drink some mineral oil at his request to get my bowels moving. About 6 hours after taking the mineral oil my bowels started to move. This was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my entire life. I was holding on to the walls repositioning in pain, I was sweating, I had goosebumps, I was screaming and deep breathing while trying not to strain to get this bowel movement out. When it finally decided to come out it was very soft which was a blessing but that did not seem to make it any less painful. I was in pain for about 2 hours after that and I did have a little bit of blood during that bowel movement. I had dreaded that bowel movement since the day of surgery but was glad to have it out of the way. I thought I would be prepared for the discomfort since I had dealt with this for 7 years but no one prepared me for the burning that I would feel after surgery. I think that's probably due to the constant wetness from the discharge from the incision site. The doctor said it did not look infected and this was all normal. Day 5 post-op and I am still taking pain pills occasionally throughout the day. I tried to go to Tylenol and ibuprofen but that was not controlling the pain enough. I know that these pain pills will make the constipation worse but I also know that I need to be able to function and keep the pain under control. I have had 3 C-sections in the past, one of which included an open wound that needed to be packed and with that procedure I didn't even take as many pain pills as I have had with this hemorrhoid surgery. With that being said, I would rather have 3 more C-sections than go through this ever again. I am hoping with time that this pain will get better the drainage will go away and I won't have to deal with this ever again. Until then I am wondering how much longer I can deal with this. I had my surgery last Monday and was scheduled off of work last week and am supposed to return on Wednesday. Today is Sunday and I am wondering how I am going to be able to go back on Wednesday. I hope this is helpful and I don't mean to scare anyone away from having the surgery but want you all to be aware that this is not something to take lightly. This is an extensive surgery, a painful surgery, and hopefully a successful surgery in the end.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi so sorry to hear you have had such an awful  time and that  things will improve . I have had piles for a long time my mum had them and so has my daughter. Only 2 weeks ago they started to bleed and have done everything since off and on . Docs said it was a thrombosed hem gave suppositories  but haven't helped. Dread going to toilet and seeing blood down there. Have always suffered with aninety so this problem adding to it. Any tips greatly appreciated  x

• Posted

I used suppositories, sits baths, hemorrhoid cream, ice packs fiber bulking foods, drank lots of water and still had issues which is why I decided to have the surgery. Sorry, not much help!!! Good luck with whatever you chose to do!!!
  • Posted

I had four internal and two external removed in October last year. They gave me for BM lactulose and fybogel which helped me. For pain I was given paracetamol and dihydrocodeine. I was lucky did not have a lot of pain. After every BM I sat in a hot bath which helped me. I also had leakage and used sanitary towels. The first BM was painful as you do not know what to expect. I eat bran flakes with either raspberries or blackberries for breakfast and plenty of water. My operation was was in the UK.

Where was yours?

• Posted

I was given hydrocodone for pain. I also used flushable wipes after using the restroom. The drainage isnprobably the worst part because ita orritating to the skin around it. My surgery was in Iowa, USA.
    • Posted

Hi Mary90364,

I’m in the UK and had the op Tuesday today is Thursday and I feel that after every BM the pain is getting worse!!! My tummy is always bubbling but just so scared to have a BM. Today I have been 4 times so spent most of the day in the bath. I also find sitting much better than laying down!! Can I ask how your feeling now?

• Posted

Hi Anita, for the first two months I just took everything slowly. Went for small walks. There was leakage so wore pads. Eight weeks after operation I got an appointment with my surgeon cot make sure thing was okay. He told me then that my operation was difficult. After my operation I had to stay in hospital over night as I was sick and also the next day they would not let you leave until they knew I would pee. By December I was okay. I still drink lots of water and eat a high fibre diet. For breakfast I ate bran flakes and added either raspberries or blackberries which helps with my BM. Did your hospital say if you had a problem to phone them ? Also do you know if your surgeon is going to check if things are okay ? Mine told me he does not check but as mine was difficult that is why he checked.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, I never see the doctor after op just sent home 4 hours after and told to come back in 8weeks!!. I do feel they need to inform people more about the pain as my doctor told me the pain would be as bad as what I normally have. Well was he wrong!! Just don’t seam to be getting better if anything I’m in more pain than day 2.
  • Posted

I have internal and external hemorrhoids since my daughter's birth 15 years ago. It was severe and it swell every time till half the size of fist. I'm a single mom and life is stressful. The worse time, I had to take time off from work simply can't sleep day and night. But I know a lot to do with my eating habits and stress of life.

I've tried many things but I think the most effective was dilute organic apple cider vinegar and put on it.

Being a single mom and I can't afford off for a week. Surgery isn't an option. So, just trying to manage day by day. Until now, as long as it not bleed, I'm used to it. (I gave birth to my girl without any help from meds, and I have 3rd degree tear. So my pain tolerance was extremely high. )

Recently, life finally getting better. My girl is great and I'm finally have time to do more on our eating habits. I was not even thinking about hemorrhoids. That's like part of my life. We start cooking more home. We have juicer and blender. Knowing not drink enough daily liquid and veg. We start blending juices and veg. Quit fast food. Quit deep fried... As soon as we started that change, my 15 years old hemorrhoids has big change. It no longer swell and no more pain. It just like dead skin hangs in the area. I think give it some time, it will disappear on its own. I'm just thankful. I tried so many things in the past and if it's under control, it's consider success. But I was never near. I basically gave up hope on that already. Now, it's just amazing. I no longer sit waiting for poop. And it comes naturally without hard push. Most important, hemorrhoids does not react to it.

I hope my experience could help you too. Juicer and blender does the trick to me. Good luck to all.

• Posted

Hi there, can I please ask how you are doing now please? This pain is horrendous!! Day3 post op

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.