Internal Buzzing / Muscle Twitching / Weakness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I am here to ask for some opinions on my symptoms and whether anyone else has experienced anything similar. I am a female in my 30s.

Approximately 9/10 months ago I would wake to numb arms. The sensation was as if i had slept on my arms and they had gone 'dead'. After a number of weeks of this happening I saw my GP who referred me to physio. This didn't help and eventually this sensation turned into all over internal vibrating / buzzing. I usually notice this most at rest or when tired but it is a constant buzzing feeling that stops and starts again quickly.

I saw my GP again who referred me to neurology. By the time I had my neurology appt I had been experiencing this for at least 8 months. I also now have constant all over muscle twitches and arms and legs that feel like i have run a marathon after small tasks such as hoovering.

My neurologist has referred me for an MRI but the wait is currently 7/8 months so no answers anytime soon. All bloods came back fine with the exception of slightly high ESR (though online suggests not really high at all).

My muscle twitching is now all over. I experience it all day in all different places. It seems to shoot from one place to the next with no obvious triggers.

Dr Google keeps directing me to MND/ALS which is terrifying but rare so I am hopeful there is another cause to my symptoms. Not sure if there are other tests anyone would suggest in the meantime? All deficiencies and blood work were normal so that is ruled out.

Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi @kenring1

So sorry to hear of your symptoms.

I went through exactly thesame experience which started about two years ago. The constant buzzing/ringing/internal vibrations, heart palpitations, waking up to dead/numb hands etc. The buzzing is like it's in my my head as if my body is vibrating constantly or maybe it is ears ringing? - sort of a low humming sound.

I then started having fasciculations in my legs - at rest, when sleeping etc...pretty much 24/7 in my calves, foot and lower thighs. I also get the odd muscle twitches all over my body in random places but not as constant as the calves. Also i get some weird nerve things where my fingers just move about involuntarily for few seconds but this happens few times a day. I was very worried as i had some fatigue in my right leg and right arm - essentially right side of body but neuro says no sign of weakness as i'd freaked out it may be ALS.

At the time i did so many tests - CT scans, MRIs, NCDs, Electrolytes, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy etc. Neuro said i had anxiety but he couldnt detect any neurological problems. Recently i had the numb hands again over night for a couple of days and randomly decided to test glucose levels. I then recorded Fasting blood sugars of 51 and 62 over three days which is quite low. So I went online to research and discovered a combination of medication i was using was probably the culprit - Alpha lipoic acid and CoQ10, both of which i started just a little over a week prior as part of supplements. This was my cue to stop them and up my glucose levels and once i did, the numb hands stopped. Futher research showed it may be due to nocturnal hypoglycemia. So maybe check if youre on any strong meds?

How are you faring now? Hope things have settled down for you?

• Posted

Muscle twitching is a very common complaint which is typically benign. You have some additional symptoms which sort of indicate a possible Peripheral Nerve Hyperactivity Disorder. If you experience weakness it could be potentially indicate Isaacs Syndrome or Morvan's (if autonomic involvement too). There are many types of PNHD disorders. One of the major concerns would be if you are experiencing weakness, having difficulty walking, or trouble releasing your grip (myotonia) then you would want to be evaluated by a neurologist right away. The twitching, tingling, buzzing (parasthesia) may be unsettling but is usually always benign and relating to overactive nervous system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.