Internal Hemorrhoidectomy. My Journey After Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive decided to document my experience going through this for not only myself and the need to pass the time of recovery but also hopefully to help at least one person either contemplating this procedure or someone going through with this procedure. I'm 52 years old and in relatively great shape health wise. no health conditions. For years I've dealt with extremely painful hemorrhoids. recently they started to protrude more and the swelling last for longer causing discomfort and severe pain while having a bm. I noticed one day that while having a bm and dealing with intense pain from my hemorrhoids being so swollen... the pain suddenly went away. When I had finished I noticed why. There was blood filled in the toilet. my swollem hemorrhoids were no longer swollem. I informed my wife who is a CRNA. She scheduled me for an appointment to be examed and it was recommended to have a hemorrhoidectomy as my condition was said to be very severe and that hemorrhoid banding wouldn't work in my case. Yesterday, 12-16-22 I had my procedure performed. This is the day after where I will start my journey. I am in a little pain and taking OTC meds to help take the edge off. I was prescribed percocet but am reserving them for absolute need as in the case that the pain becomes more that I can tolerate. This and the fact that im paranoid about getting constipated from taking these types of pain meds. I could not deal with that right now. The thought of constipation, present pain, and a bm just sounds like a death sentence right now in my current condition so I'm tring to be cautious.

I just had a sitz bath and the rectal packing fell out. The sitz bath helped to relieve a little pain and the packing falling out helped a bit with the intense pressure I am feeling. It's down a bit but still there. I am swollen, as to be expected but my fear of the 1st bm has me thinking logically....doesn't hurt to have a wife in heathcare either. I applied an epifoam to help reduce the swelling and later I will start with ice packs to further help facilitate reduced swelling. Anything that can be done to reduce swelling at this point is highly recommended.

I will post here daily as I go through my journey and if I can any any questions as I go I will do my best. This will be a long recovery it seams like.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I may need surgery at some point so i appreciate your post and future updates. I hope it all heals quickly for you. One thing i can comment on is the pain meds. I had an incredibly painful anal fissure a few months back and OTC pain meds just didn't help so my dr gave me a codeine based pain med, which like the one you were offered is opioid based, which i discovered gave me the worst constipation imaginable. This was the last thing i needed with my condition. My dr just assumed eating more fiber and some OTC laxatives would fix it however i quickly found that opioid induced constipation (OIC) is rarely resolved in this way as the mechanics of the issue are quite different to constipation caused by dietary reasons. Finally the dr gave me a PAMORA which is a class of drug which inhibits the constipation while still allowing the analgesic effects of the pain med. It does this by targetting opiod receptors in the GI tract while not crossing the blood brain barrier and affecting the opiod receptors in the brain and spine which is where the pain med acts. It's not for me to recommend medications and this needs to be discussed with your dr. But just in case the pain gets too bad it can be helpful to know that there's at least an avenue for discussion that may or may not suit. Thank you again for the post.

• Edited

I had a haemorrhoidectomy on 9th of Dec, two large haemorrhoids for 15+ years, 45 yr old, healthy lifestyle, very active. Day 10 now.

I prepared my self mentally for painful recovery and thanks to this forum my recovery is going pretty well. Hence I owe it to you guys to share my experience so far.

Before operation:

fiber heave diet and empty just bowels before op

After op:

continue high fiber immediatelly (dr advise) and drink plenty of water. hard to say how much is enough 3-4 liters.

medicines given:

• antibiotics for 7 days
    • low painkiller ibuprofen/paracetamol
    • medium pain killer co-dydramol (has codein which causes constipation)
    • high painkiller tramadol (plenty of codein)
    • movicol laxative 2xday dr said this will help with any constipation caused by medium or high pain killer
    • lactulose laxative 2 x day.

first bowel movement using squatty pot on day 2 painful but went relatively ok.

based on info from this forum I wanted to abstain from medium / high pain killer at any cost. yes it was painful but i think it may have paid off (or that in combo with high fiber food and water). i was not constipated once.

sitz bath was not advised by dr. shower after every bm is prefferred to prevent bacterias getting into wounds.

dr said sudocream and e45 is ok to apply.

i used hot bottle at times to reduce the pain. it helped

i will now explain what i am eating:

breakfast:

spoon of flax powder mixed with cup of hot water drink after 1h (better prepare this a nigh before to have it first thing in the morning)

spoon of chia seeds mixed with cup of hot water drink after 1h (same as above)

blend 7-8 soft prunes and 2 dates (fresh not from the can)

prepare porridge with water and mix with blended prunes.

drink plenty of water and make sure it is mildly hot

lunch:

cabbage stew with chicken

or rutabega/suede stew with chicken

or green beans stew with chicken

or steamed brokoli with boiled chicken and avocado on top.

dinner:

fruit salad with 2 kiwi, one pear, melon

i feel pretty good now.

pain is still there in the morning especially after bm. after 12 i dont feel any pain until morning.

good luck to all of you. keep believing and you will be over this bugger.

• Posted

i love this idea thank you and hope your doing well.

I've finally an appointment to see the colorectal surgeon on 10th jan, i first went to the doctors with anal bleeding march 2020 so finally seem to be getting somewhere, had a colonoscopy and all clear from that, but still having alot of bleeding, personally i think its prolapsed internal haemorrhoids , but hopefully get to speak to someone in person on the 10th

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.