Internal shingles?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

So i'm wondering if i have internal shingles. I have no rash but i do have this incredible painful/prickling/ sensation across my back. There is nothing to see on the skin but it is driving me insane!

I keep thinking i have kidney problems with the pain but when the doc sends away a urine sample it comes back with 'nothing can be grown'

Anyone else know of or have had this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry i should have given more information.....

I'm currently 55 and this has been happening on and off for years sad 

• Posted

Hi Kitty,  For the past three years I have had chronic pain across my back (exactly where a bra would sit).  After extensive tests it was put down to neuropathic pain arising (they think) from a virus I contracted on Christmas Day 2014.  I am not one to believe in things that can't be proved and have spent hundreds of hours and a lot of money trying to get some relief from this pain.  I too think that I have had internal shingles or singles without the spots (doctors are very sceptical about this) but I was treated for a urine infection as the casualty department had only one nurse on duty on that Christmas Day.  You say that the pain is on and off - can you tell me if it hurts when you rest your back against a chair or wear a bra?  If this is the case you have probably got a version of neuropathic pain called Allodynia, which is a heightened sensitivity to pain where otherwise you would feel nothing given the same stimuli.  This is a very common condition in people who have or have had shingles.  I do hope I have helped in some way and am so very pleased that you get some time without it. Take care and good luck.🌺

• Posted

Hi Joyce

thank you for responding smile

My pain is a bit lower than yours i can't stand a light or gentle touch on the area it sort of makes the nerves scream and it's really horrible. I can handle it when i am resting on a chair couch because it is a proper touch. I am still aware of it but it's not as bad as a gentle touch, like your blouse touching your skin and then moving. 

It's weird and i'm not sure if i am making sense. It's been bothering me for the past 2 months and i just want it to go away. 

I had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and getting over the hysterectomy has been easier than dealing with tingling stinging across my back. 

• Posted

Hi Kitty,  I know exactly what you mean.  I have since had surgery for early stage breast cancer and nearly a month of radiotherapy but it was nowhere near as bad as the constant horrible pain.  Hope you get some answers and that your suffering will soon go away.
    • Posted

I'm getting over shingles which I've had for 3 months.I had no blisters,but that may be because I had an antiviral within a couple of days of diagnosis.The words that made me think you have definitely got nerve pain are

"i can't stand a light or gentle touch on the area it sort of makes the nerves scream and it's really horrible. I can handle it when i am resting on a chair couch because it is a proper touch. I am still aware of it but it's not as bad as a gentle touch, like your blouse touching your skin and then moving. "

That is exactly how I felt with shingles.I could stand my back being on a chair,and \I used to push my fist into the area under ny armpit,to relieve the pain-but if my clothes brushed against it,I was writhing in pain.The only thing that eased it was Pregabalin(Lyrica) x150.It didn't make the pain /burning/itching(later) go away,but it made it bearable.I think seeing your gp to arrange an appointment with a neurologist would be a good idea.

• Posted

Thank you Beth & Joyce

I will go to my GP tomorrow and see what they say, but as there is nothing to see on my skin and only my word for it,  i hope they believe me.  It is making me miserable like i'm being gently tortured on a daily basis. 

I'm tired of it and sick of complaining about it but it's right there all the time and i can't get away from it. 

• Posted

Oh Joyce 

You have been through the wars, it's awful that you can go through horrible health issues and what bothers you the most is shingles! 

How are you now? 

• Posted

I had almost no rash/marksk on my back and only 4 tiny spots on my front. The first doctor and I didn't think I had shingles, as at that point, I no longer had pain. I had been on a trip for 3 weeks and when I got home I had those tiny marks, and I thought "Shingles?". But 10 days later with the tiny rash on my left breast, the pain had gotten worse and my regular doctor confirmed the diagnosis. I also agree that you've got either shingles or PHN. What works (using the term loosely, but it does help) is Aspercreme with 4% lidocaine, Neurontin and Tylenol. I also have pain, not just the weird sensations. What I'm doing for treatment is very common. Keep reading other threads and you'll get more info.

Don't worry about what they think or feel. A good doctor should be familiar with this and it's wrong to question you. Yes, it's difficult and I've got the advantage of having worked in healthcare and my doc and I have a good relationship. I hope these suggestions help.

BTW, I finally have almost given up on wearing a bra (which really bothers me) but when I do, I found a tip from someone else. Get a sports bra or racer back style. For some odd reason, having a front closer is less painful, it changes the pressure points. I also added 3 bra extenders on several of my more comfortable bras, which help. I've also gotten a lot more loose, printed tops to hide my "freedom".

• Posted

Okay i'm back from the doctor who said that you can't have shingles without a rash/spots sad   I just knew that was going to happen.  

But he did say it could be nerve issues and he gave me a prescrition for Pregabalin(Lyrica) 25mg.  Beth did you have much issues with side effect of this medication?

• Posted

Pre-gab and gab have similar properties and side effects. some people tolerate one better than the other. The side effects can be troublesome  as is getting off them. But they really can help. BTW, you do know that doctor is wrong, right? It's called zoster sine herpete. But at this point, as you said you've had this for years, you would have PHN, post hermetic neuralgia.

• Posted

Hi Babs,

Yes i do know he is wrong, but i will give the pain meds a go and see what happens. I didn't get to see the doctor i wanted to see which is a shame sad  Next time i go to see the doc i will print off some information for them at least then they won't think i'm talking nonsense!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.