Interpreting lab results

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have congetial hypothyroidism and am currently taking Tirosint.  Recently had blood work done and I'm curious what your thoughts are about these results.  TSH is within normal range but T4 is elevated (2.33).  What does this mean in laymans terms?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I should edit this to say "Free T4" is elevated
  • Posted

Hi, do you know what the ranges are for both results? It gives a clearer picture. If T4 is elavated it usually means you are taking too much. It is possible for TSH to be within normal range and still be on too much (it just may be the lower side of normal). What did your GP say? I've not heard of tirosint before is that a synthetic T4 medication?
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. 

TSH = 1.19 (range 0.45-4.5)

Free T4 = 2.33 (range .82-1.77).

My endocrinologist is not concerned, however, I like to know what this means and the office is closed.

Tirosint is synthetic but it has very few ingredients.  I avoid gluten, dairy, dyes, etc, so I requested this medication. Its relatively new and doesn't have great insurance coverage but for me its worth it.

From their website: "Tirosint is different from other thyroid medications because it contains only 4 ingredients: Levothyroxine, Gelatin, Glycerin, and Water. It does not contain sugars, dyes, alcohol, wheat starch (gluten), lactose or many of the other additives used to make some thyroid medications. Tirosint is a gelcap, not a tablet like most medications used to treat hypothyroidism."

**they have coupons on their website!

• Posted

That's interesting - I'm in the UK so we just get given the bog-standard levothyroxine.

If you aren't suffering any symptoms then I wouldn't worry about it. Your t4 is a little higher than normal so if you are getting symptoms such as fast heart rate/sweating/trouble sleeping then maybe you could request a small drop in meds, but sounds fairly normal to me. Out of curiosity what dose are you on?

• Posted

Also, if you are suffering any symptoms it's also worth asking them to test your free T3 to give you the whole picture
    • Posted

Thank you. I will ask for free T3 next time. No symptoms as you mentioned. I'm on 150mcg. I have a completely inactive thyroid.
  • Posted

Hello MaSmith

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987. T4 elevated means too much thyroxine  name for T4 is in you.  It should be between 4.5 and 11.2.   Which test did you have?

What med are you on?

FreeT4 (FT4) is another test and should be between  0.82-1.77 in that range.

I hope this helps, and any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi, it's worth getting T4 tested too. How are your vitamin and mineral levels? Ferritin level needs to be 70+ to process thyroxine properly. Ask if you can have your iron levels checked. Also Ferritin, vitamin B12, vitamin D, calcium, potassium, magnesium, sodium checked and if possible: , selenium too. If you feel ok and your doctor isn't worried that's ok. Keep an eye out for symptoms of overactive or underactive thyroid in case these manifest and see your doctor if they do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.