interstitial cystitis??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to Dr 4 weeks ago with suspected uti. Had 3 days of antibiotics and felt better for about a week. Symptoms came back. Urine test clear but was given 7days of antibiotics anyway. I'm wondering if it could be interstitial cystitis? My symptoms are urge to pee often.. no pain, no blood. My lower abdomen and bladder area is uncomfortable but not unbearable- feels almost like permanent period pain Seeing as I had a total hysterectomy 8 years ago it's not that! I'll go back to Dr after having the antibiotics if no better.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, I have was diagnosed with ic in 2017 but now realize that I've had it longer but didn't realize it. Like you I thought it was uti but no, unlike you I had pain in my bladder and urethra. I'm not a doctor but it does sound like ic. Try not to drink any fruit drinks , coffee, tea. There is a diet list on the

Ic network, just type it in and it should come up. Theres alot of things you shouldn't eat or drink. Most important dont take in anything with

Acid in it. You might not have it but it wouldn't hurt to eat and drink this way until your appointment. I hope all goes well with appt. Let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Surgery probably won't see me until after the antibiotics that I probably don't need !! I did say to the nurse why give them when it's negative. But she said as they are for bladder only it will be fine to take them.

• Posted

Hi Caz, you might well be right but I personally think it’s probably a little too soon to know if it’s IC.  It could be residual inflammation from an infection which will settle soon (hopefully it’s that anyway!)  It’s always slightly tricky with urine tests as you can have false negatives and positives as the testing system isn’t particularly accurate.  Doctors tend to go more on symptoms these days.  Having said that, there’s not much point taking antibiotics if you have repeatedly negative tests.  If you do have IC this will only make things worse.   The avenue I would pursue at this stage, is your estrogen levels.  It’s interesting that you had a hysterectomy a few years ago.  Are you on HRT? If not, do consider it - the risks are not as high as we’ve been led to believe and unless you’re in a high risk group, it’s worth a try.  The bladder lining is made of similar tissue to the uterus and is affected by low estrogen (this is what happened to me) and can become ‘irritated’ or inflamed.  If you don’t want systemic HRT you can try vaginal pessaries (vagifem) and see if they’re enough.  Give it at least 6-8 weeks.  Sadly a lot of GPs don’t think of the connection between hormone levels and bladder prone but a urogynaecologist will.  It made a world of difference to me and I know that was correct as when I reduced the HRT dose the symptoms slowly returned.  It’s a case of weighing up the risks and benefits but I wouldn’t have a life without HRT so don’t feel I have a choice.  Hope you feel better soon!
    • Posted

Hi Shirley. Thanks for your reply.

I had wondered about a connection to HRT too. I'm 48 and I had the hysterectomy 6 years ago and stopped taking the HRT about two years ago .. ( mainly due to not being able to afford the prescription!) I seemed to be fine without so didn't start again. I did mention this to the practise nurse, she pretty much brushed it aside and gave me the antibiotics. Interesting though I've been getting hot flushes again from time to time too. I'll make an appointment and go back and hopefully they will investigate further as I keep worrying it's something sinister!!

• Posted

Hi Caz, I know what you mean - I was the same but I really don’t think there’s anything sinister going on with you.  You may have to try several different avenues to find someone who recognises the connection between low estrogen and bladder symptoms.  Keep going until you get some answers or ask to see a urogynaecologist if you can (there aren’t many about, unfortunately) or just ask to go back on the HRT regardless so you can see for yourself what happens.  I’m pretty sure you you’ll feel an improvement if you do.  In the meantime following the IC diet is a good idea so as not to aggravate the bladder further.  Hope you get it sorted - menopause is not a happy time and when it involves the bladder it’s really miserable - all you hear about is the hot flushes and mood swings - no-one mentions the bladder but it’s really quite common, and there should be more awareness within the medical profession. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.