Interval between blood tests for initial diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, may I ask how long you have to wait from an abnormal GFR test result to have the second one to rule out the possibility of a blip? I seem to recall seeing it written somewhere as three months yet my GP has written six months on the blood test repeat form. Thank you very much

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Eva, I would have thought that if you have had an abnormal eGFR result your GP would be repeating the test much sooner than 6 months.  Sometimes, mine are repeated within a month depending on the previous result.
  • Posted

GFR can change from day to day depending on what you have eaten.  I generally have a blood test every 6 weeks or so
  • Posted

You can ask your GP to repeat the test.  I have if I suddenly have a much lower one than usual. If it is quite unusual it is good to investigate further.  Good luck!
  • Posted

When I forst found out I had CKD I had bloodwork once a month for three months to verify it was a true problem and not just a short term problem.  According to what your numbers are may be why your GP thinks he can wait.  Maybe your numbers are in the high range and six months is sufficiant. If you are worried I would talk to your GP and ask why they are waiting .  It may ease your mind.  Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.