Intestinal Amoeba - What is my responsibility in limiting the risk of spreading it to others?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I have an intestinal amoeba that is often considered 'non-pathological' (it's called Endolimax Nana) but for me it gives me periodic trends of gas, soft stool, itchy butt (pruritus ani), and once or twice hard-to-see stains from farts.

This amoeba has been difficult to get rid of, the last medicine did not work. I have been really stressed out on what my responsibility is, or how far it goes, to make sure I do not pass this to others.

I always wash my hands, usually shower in the morning, - but if I fart and maybe my boxers get an invisible stain, or just smell a little so you know there is fecal matter there, does that mean I should change the sheets I sleep in, or the pants that the boxers came into contact with? -Because those will come into contact with other things as well? - That just seems overkill because it would take over my life then/i'd always be thinking about it. Wondering what others thoughts are.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chicagocb

As long as you are the only one in the sheets they can be changed once a week if you wear underwear/nightclothes to bed, if not wash twice a week with underwear. Wash your underwear and sheets separately from other clothes. Always wipe the toilet around with antibacterial wipes after use and take them with you when you go out incase you need to use a public toilet so you can wipe the toilet seat to protect others from being contaminated. Even wipe yourself with an anti bacterial wipe after a bowel movement. Just be as hygienic as you possibly can with hand washing and wiping to protect others....

• Posted

Also, if not already doing so, always use anti bacterial handwash.....

• Posted

as an after thought regarding underwear, is there a possibility u can wear two pairs of boxers so your trousers, jeans, PJ's if you wear them to bed, will not be in relatively close contact. It is very commendable that you think of others who may be contaminated.....👍

• Posted

Do you know how your condition came about and what are the prospects for a cure?

• Posted

i think I got it from not washing organic produce, the produce had probably been washed with contaminated water 😕 ya should be cureable but the amoeba cysts (eggs) have been hard to kill, also my immune system might not be the strongest right now idk

• Posted

You may well be doing the very best you can with hygiene. I wouldn't concentrate too much on it or it will take over your life. Go back to your doctor and ask for a stronger medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.