Intestine pain after antibiotics course (amoxicillin), bowel normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a toot ache infection after my root canal. Took antibiotics for 7 days. Now I have pain below my belly button after I eat or when I walk, basically am active. The pain is not severe it's just annoying. I do have IBS, but haven't had any problems with it for the past 6 years.

My concern is C Difficile bacteria, how likely is it that I got it because of this antibiotics? I'm 26, otherwise fit and healthy.

My symptoms are just pain which has been going on for a week now after my antibiotics. The pain goes aways at night and I sleep fine. Also it goes away after bowel movement for a small interval of time. My bowels are normal, basically just some sort of pain, nothing else. 

Any idea what could be happening, should I get checked for the bacteria?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That doesn't sound too good. You need to maybe weaning out and stopping the Amoxycillin. Your stomach takes a while to recover after antibiotics. Take each day 1 at a time then you slowly hopefully recover. An pro-biotic might help your stomach to heal further. 

• Posted

I'm of the antibiotics for a week now... The pain started one day before discontinuing antibiotics.. Could it be C . Difficile or am I just exaggerating?

• Posted

I can't be certain about c difficult but antibiotics make my stomach dreadful! 

• Posted

In which way, what symptoms do you experience and how long does it last after you finish your course?
  • Posted

Amoxicillin is very toxic for the gut causing either diarrhoea, vomiting or other disturbances  I vomited with this antibiotic after taking it for a supposed tooth infection after treatment went wrong. It took me two weeks for my stomach to settle down after taking amoxicillin. I was off my food completely and was only able to take very light, bland foods or milk during this time.

Antibiotics don't cause infections of any kind; they clear them up.   It is more likely that you are experiencing side effects from the medication which is a completely different thing from an infection.  IBS makes your gut more sensitive and the medication may have caused a flare up.  Temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement is an IBS symptom.  Check the patient leaflet that comes with the medication to see the list of side effects.   IBS can go into remission for a while and then come back. Antispasmodics should help your stomach to settle.  Ask your doctor for one or take the ones you were prescribed for IBS if you already have them. You can also get Buscopan over the counter as well.  I have mild IBS and Buscopan snd Nurofen work well for me.  Tell your dentist and doctor about your bad reaction so that you don't get this antibiotic again in the future.

Maybe try a probiotic to rebalance gut flora which can get disturbed after antibiotics.  Yoghurt is good for this.

• Posted

I just wanted to say that I'm better now. For other people who might have similar problems after antibiotics, to be more precise after penicillin, wait for a couple of days to week time for thing to settle. Note, I did not have diarrhea, just intestine pain and bloating which was caused obviously from antibiotics. Training and probiotics, kefir did help! Be sure to drink probiotics or any dairy 4 hours after taking antibiotics, for further information google...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.