Into my shock, what I thought as a simple patch lead me to having Pytiriasis Rosea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am female 26 y/o and working as a Financial Accountant. After shaving my underarm, few days later I noticed there are two penny-sized patch in my underarm. They itched and I scratched them. Later on, I noticed they grow bigger and merged. Looking into the internet, I diagnosed myself as having a ringworm because the patch I have is scaly just like in the pictures. I bought Ketoconazole otc and after 2 weeks of applying it, no improvement. Recently, I think it's getting more and more mosquitoes inside my bedroom and underneath my office working table. My legs are getting itchy. I neglect it and continue to apply cream in my underarm. To my dismay, no progress at all in using the Ketoconazole cream so I went at the pharmacy to ask for anti-fungal soap. The pharmacist gave me Sastid. I used it for 3 days. On the first day, no improvement. On the 2nd day there are small bumps appearing in my legs and tummy. On the third day of using Sastid, more than 5 small bumps appeared on my arms. This was the time I decided to go to dermatologist. She looked at my legs and I was diagnosed with PR. I was crying because I have searched that there is no cure in this disease. My patches are now spreading. I have now in my neck. It's itchy all over. I am taking antihystamine as my doctor prescribed and medicated lotion but they won't take away the rashes, they will just easen the itch. I can't do anything to stop it from spreading. Each day I wake up, there are new patches in my skin. I just don't know what to do. They are getting more visible as days pass by. I feel so down right now (≖︿≖✿)

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Personally I would not take the antihistamines as they made my skin worse. The best thing I found was tea tree cream for the itching it soothed my skin and helped a lot. Exposure to sunlight or a sunbed helps too. Avoid washing with hot water as this makes the rash a lot worse. You could also try sudocream as this helps too. The best thing to do is keep applying whichever cream works for you, do not scratch this just inflames the rash. Be patient it will go of its own accord. I had it from the neck down everywhere and my arms were badly swollen from so many spots. But after 12 weeks it went with no scars or any sigh it was ever there. Chris.
    • Posted

@chris20106 I hope when mine is gone it will leave no scars. Right now the small bumps are getting a little bigger and I can see there is a film like skin in the center of the other patches. I don't scratch them so they won't get irritated. The first patches I have scratched gets bigger really fast  but to those I just ignore, they stay as what they were like the first time they appeared. -Kaypee
  • Posted

I have been using an anti-fungal cream called Daktarin and it is working wonders! I know most doctors and online forums say its not a fungal infection but I have been using this 3 times a day for the last 3 days and have seen a MAJOR improvement. And it is definitely PR that I have! That coupled with washing with an anti-dandruff shampoo has really made a difference for me so it could be worth a shot smile
  • Posted

Also if you don't already, start taking a multi vitamin, maybe a zinc tablet and a vitamin C drink in the morning. This will realy promote healthy skin and boost your immune system which will definitely speed up recovery.
  • Posted

Thanks to all your response. I appreciate it. I am taking a batch using H&S as body wash. so far it's my 2nd day using anti dandruff shampoo. Let's see how my skin will respond. I am kind of thinking to put Blue Star ointment in one patch trying to experiment at one area only. I hope it would not get as worse as I could imagine it will.
    • Posted

Hi, 

I am also an accountant and I'm 28. So sorry to hear how down it's made you. I've previously posted that I got rid of mine a week after being diagnosed.  Head and shoulders, vitamin C gummies, and prednisone. I think the Vitamin C helped the most. There is debate if it's viral. My doctor and myself believe that. That is what prompted me to buy vitamin c. My stomach area took longer to leave.

• Posted

If you're open to the idea of sunbeds, they will really help too. I did 5 minutes on a low intensity bed yesterday and my hearld patch blew up bright red... woke up this morning and it's half the size!
  • Posted

@rosae901 I am so happy that you did not have to suffer for long regarding your PR. It amazes me how you managed to get rid of it in just 1 week. I hope mine will stop spreading right now. My doctor said one cause of this is stress. I really got stressed during the semi-annual closing. You know how how stressful the monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annual accounting close. Maybe that triggered my first "herald patch". I am eating lots of citrus fruits since yesterday. I hope it surely help.

@Shinners91 It's really thankful on your side that your herald patch was minimized in half. I am thinking of going to tanning salon if after 2 weeks this is still in me without any improvement despite the medication. 

Please let me know your updates about your PR. It is very helpful knowing that I am not alone in this battle and someone out there knows what I've been through right now (n_n*)

• Posted

Hi Kaypee, I have suffered with this for years myself through all of the junk pharmacies and doctor's offer you and of course with little to no effect. then after years of trying and millions of hours on the net searching, somebody in 3rd world county had mentioned they had oral anti fungal medication, which seeing as it sounds so simple, why haven't any of our medical professionals offered this to me?. well you have to ASK FOR IT yourself and although it will always be there forever somewhere in my body I haven't even thought about it in nearly a year, only after one course. so I recommend you give it a try, good luck
    • Posted

Hello Theakmo. Im on my 2nd going to 3rd week of PR. The other rashes are beginning to dry but I'm so upset that they are turning dark spot. I don't have a flawless skin but I don't have any scar on my legs. Im so afraid I have to deal with these scars in the long run.

I used to wear shorts because I live in tropical country. I love wearing dresses going to the office but I don't think I stilk can. The rashes all over my body are now turning brown.

The medications my doctor gave are not helping either. Someone told me to take vit c and that's what I'm doing because this disease has something to do with immune system.  Thank you so much for your feedback.  I hope this stops very soon. The experience is very traumatic and I hope the spots will fade away.

• Posted

If it's any help I had it from the neck down and the rash was so bad that my arms and legs were swollen. After it went there was no sign it was even there ,no scars or marks of any kind. So don't worry, it will go. Good luck.
  • Posted

If it's any help I had it from the neck down and the rash was so bad that my arms and legs were swollen. After it went there was no sign it was even there ,no scars or marks of any kind. So don't worry, it will go. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Chris. Ues you are correct. The patches I had before is beginning to lighten up. Too bad for me my herald patch keeps on recurring on the same spot for 2 months now. I hope this stops now.

Best,

Kaypee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.