Intolerable pain in groin post lumbar fusion.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, my fusion of L4-5-s1 was 10 weeks ago. Yesterday I got up from a sitting position and had terrible pain in my groin. It has progressed to where I am unable to walk. I have taken a muscle relaxant, a pain pill and an nsaid. It has not helped .  I also iced it all night .  I called the doctor yesterday and they didn't say much . Basically " let us know if it gets worse, they don't do anything at this point".  I thought that overnight it may improve but it hasn't .  I'm not sure what to do .  Has anyone experienced anything like this after a lumbar fusion ?. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh god thats made me worry now. Hope things improve for you soon. Im booked in for my OLIF surgery a fusion but they go through my front as well 2 operations in one! I go in 20th july did you have OLIF surgery too? How was it?
    • Posted

My surgery was through the back . I had three laminectomy's prior to this fourth one which is a fusion . The surgery itself wasn't bad and really that recovery was pretty good except for these Setbacks. But I wasn't prepared for was the length of time it takes to recover . I am now generally sell in this new problem popped up . The only other problem I had was around a six when I had intolerable leg pain and they gave me a Steroids for a week and that you care of it.

• Posted

Ive had 4 previous microdiscectomys and lumber decompressions my last surgery was january so hoping this fusion does the job. Im now losing my job through this with being off work.
  • Posted

Hi Crista:

?I had a neck fusion and rehab was not easy.  I did the rehab at home.  I had to wear that contraption on my neck as not to turn my head.  It took a few months to heal.  That is when doctors put you on opiods 4/day.  How about 30 mg for each Oxycontin.  These drugs won't be easily available anymore.  Now, they give you such a low dose, it really doesn't work well.  Doctors now are afraid to give you anything stronger than 5 or 10 mg.  It used to be said that this low dose you won't become addicted as it is working on the pain.  I have been on pain pills for over 15 years.  I take it as needed.  I try to avoid taking them.  Doctors also say you have to take it 3 or 4 times a day so it will keep controlling the pain.  NOT!  Oh, they also say  you won't become addicted.  Bull, you can when you take it as prescribed.  That was a number of years ago and now doctors think differently.  They are afraid to give it to you and if caught, they can get into a lot of trouble.  So, I live with it and have to deal with it.  First of all, the doctors have to trust you not to abuse it.  Then you sign an agreement to protect themselves and every time you renew the prescription, you have to pick it up at the doctors office and you give them a urine sample to see if you are cheating.  I had a nerve stimulator put in my about 4 and a half years ago.  This was the old kind where you have to put in new batteries.  I should have taken the rechargable batters which can be replaced externally.  Now, the unit is dead because of the batteries.  It did buzz my legs but didn't touch my back where I needed it most.  Now, I have to have surgery to remove it.  Your doing everything you can yourself and for what you take, you would think it would help the pain.  I bet the pain med is a low dose.  That is also the same excuse I got when I had to call the doctor when I had terrible pain.  Generally, who you talk to is on the front desk and I bet many don 't even report it to the doctor.  Why should they as they all kinds of crappy calls by patients and don't want to deal with it.  It is quite different if they know you.  Many don't know the patients.  And, the  part where they say if it gets worse, then go to the ER.  Gee Crista, I don't what to say either at this point but at least we can talk about it.  Take care, feel better and keep a smile on y our face even if it is hard.

?Melwink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.