Intolerance to GARLIC?!?! (IBS)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

I've had IBS for almost a year now, and ive found that garlic really does NOT digest well with me.

I get pains, severe bloating, nasuea and constantly in the toilet number 2 (normal bowel movement) 

And to make it worse, I have health anxiety ? Im like a hypercondriac..I overact on the smallest things, which stress my stomach muscles out even more!!! 

HOW & WHY :-( anyone else ?? 

P.S im so nocturnal right now, these stomach gurgling and bubbling feelings are getting to me.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have same problem, same with curcumin andmany other things. If I take too muchbicarbonate of soda I end up coughing a lot and wheezing, just one of those things. I know what you mean. Every time you hvae an ache and a pain or sneeze or whatever you think oh my god and worry more.
  • Posted

I suffer from malabsorption too over last two years. I follow the low fodmap diet and don't eat wheat or dairy or onions or garlic or beans or I have wond pain, spasms, nausea and tummy ache. It's not an allergy or cealuacs but intollerance x all you can do it avoid it but onion and garlic notorious for malabsorption x 
    • Posted

How did you know you had malaborbtion ?? Did the dr's tell you? 

Yeah, I find my mum cooking separate food for me always. Because I come from a European background all the food is rich in flavours and sauces so she makes it garlic and onion-less for me.. Until today my sister made chicken with garlic ... I'm honestly in hell right  now sad thankyou so much 

• Posted

Saw a nutritionist and told her my symptoms and they stop when I don't eat the food but they are not instant and can take a few days and also build up x 
    • Posted

And you also have IBS ? 

Yeah I always planned on visiting at nutironist because I'm eating all these naughty foods that I know will make me feel like crap after! :D

• Posted

I call it malabsorption not ibs.  I don't have symptoms if I avoid the foods which I do x 
  • Posted

Hi aussiechick13, are you familiar with the low FODMAP diet. In Australia is very well known. Garlic is very high in oligos fructans, which are bad for IBS. 
    • Posted

IBS is an overgrowth of the wrong bacteria in the gut. The reason garlic or onions or similar things affect what is in your gut is because some of the bacteria grow more - feeding off of it. Then you can get too much of this one and that one and struggling to be in that space and fighting with each other., If your gut is sorted out - which is easily done by using the right biotics and prebiotics - then this does not happen. IBS is a conditionthat we bring onto ourselves by eating the wrong things or not eating the right things - and it can be put right. Thre is no need to have it for years and put up with it as if you are having no choice.
    • Posted

You are saying something right, but I don't believe your general statement that we bring IBS onto ourselves is correct. There can be various reasons for an individual IBS and that is not always related to eating bad food.
    • Posted

I knew yo would say that. I am not saying bad food I am saying food that results in an imbalance. Too much sugar, too much onion, are bad foods as far as ibs goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.