Intra-prostatic injections?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Does anybody remember a year or so ago there was a discussion here about a newer treatment for BPH supposedly in clinical trials in the US but approved in some countries in Europe. It was an injection directly into the prostate that was said to result in significant shrinkage and clinical improvement in LUTS. Can anyone point me to the thread, or tell me the name of that product?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good morning

As far as I know they are still working on it there are some trails but nothing has been approved yet.

Fexapotide is one of the name that the injections is going by. There was a Phase 3 trail in February of 2018 trying to get it approve by the FDA but no luck yet.

It would be very good for men with BPH problem. We will just have to wait and see.

Have a good day.....Ken

• Posted

Thank you, Ken. That's the exact one I was looking for!

Hope you have a good day too,

Fred

• Posted

Hi Ken, I 'm back on the forum after a bad case of this infection C-diff. Don't ever take antibiotic Clindamicin, this antibiotic is nortorious for getting C-diff. Dentists usaully prescribe this for pain. Also i would like to send jimjames a PM ,do you know how i can do this?

thanks

frank,

• Posted

Nice to know that some thing easier is being considered considered for this problem affecting most of us. Let us hope positive results come out soon.

• Posted

Yes it would be nice.

We will just have to see what happens.

Have a great day...Ken

• Posted

HI there

Was intrigued by your post and went delving online for info. The link below reports some of the most recent findings on Fexapotide.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6348527/

The results do seem encouraging but what was also a surprising finding reported at the end of the paper was that an injection of 10ml of sterile saline (as the placebo I believe) produced benefits equal to or better than treatments with alpha blockers or 5ARI inhibitors after 1 year. Beyond that time the benefits of Fexapotide started to become clearer and outperform other drug interventions.

• Posted

Thank you! Interesting report.

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

Thanks for researching this. Definitely something to keep checking in about.

• Posted

Thanks. It would be great if this were approved and actually worked!

• Posted

Botox was being used at one time but not heard more about it recently.

• Posted

Yes, thanks. I thought that was interesting.

• Posted

Just dug up another relatively recent paper on Botox and BPH

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5780293/

Early enthusiasim apopears to have waned due to some large randomised studies showing no difference between placebo and Botox treatment. However the author believes that there are subsets within the data that indicate that some groups did benefit from the Botox treatment.

It's also interesting to note that the placebo (sterile saline) did have a positive and measurable benefit. This has been attributed to the placebo effect but perhaps there is more to it than that. In my previous post about Fexapotide the authors of that report also noted significant benefits from the sterile saline used as a placebo - these benefits lasting for at least 12 months.

I'm just wondering if you can sustain a "placebo effect" for that length of time or is there some other hidden benefit from injecting sterile saline into the prostate that the researchers are overlooking.

Just a thought - strangers things have happened in medicine before

• Posted

Interesting conclusion and also that placebo gave a years relief.

"In conclusion, use of BoNT-A on patients with LUTS secondary to BPH has been shown repeatedly to have a sustained effect to reduce prostate size and improve symptoms. Although large scale RCTs have not shown superiority to placebo, it may still have a place in specific groups of patients such as those who do not want to take long-term oral medications or patients who are poor surgical candidates."

• Posted

There have been 2 companies that have gone through Phase II and Phase III trials with direct injection into the prostate. The other one is Topsalysin which after one year did not show any statistical significance over the placebo. This was also the problem with Fexapotide though that company has been accused of tampering with the data. In both cases though the placebo effect was very strong and durable, lasting at least one year. This begs the question that why not just inject saline into the prostate and tell the patient it is a drug - this shows the power of the mind to heal the body!

The third trials were with Botox injection but these were stopped because of 50% incontinence (temporary) with the same placebo effect.

• Posted

As usual, there's more to this than meets the eye. Thanks for the information!

Best wishes,

Fred

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.